PDA

View Full Version : Un-dual booting

Filthygamer
13-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I currently have a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows 8. My hard drive is split into 3 partitions - about 15gb for Ubuntu, 55gb for Storage (which I share through both OSes), and the rest for Windows.

I've found now that I don't really use Ubuntu much, so I want to return to a single boot system. However, when I deleted the Ubuntu partition, it also deleted GRUB therefore I had no bootloader! My computer wouldn't boot so in a panic I reinstalled Ubuntu off a pen drive and everything was fine except Ubuntu was still there! Is there any way to restore the Windows bootloader?

Another question is that can I merge partitions if they are to the left or have gaps? i.e. I actually have 4 partitions, one of which is something piddly like 14mb and I have no idea how it got there! It's on the end though, and the partition manager only wants to merge partitions next to each other to the right. Is there a (free) way to move partitions?

Also, I might want to dual boot again (yes I know) with Steam OS when it comes out, and will probably repartition anyway, but because Steam OS is Linux based is there a way to use the Windows bootloader instead of GRUB? It looks nicer and should be easier to revert changes then doing what I did all over again!

One more quicky - if I merge partitions does it wipe them? i.e. if I merge my storage and Windows partitions will it wipe either of them?

Thanks in advance.

pcuser42
13-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Is there any way to restore the Windows bootloader?

Yes, as long as you have a Windows disc :) http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/

Another question is that can I merge partitions if they are to the left or have gaps?

Sort of. You can delete the unwanted partition and extend the remaining partition to the left.

Is there a (free) way to move partitions?

I've used EaseUS Partition Manager without issues :)

Also, I might want to dual boot again (yes I know) with Steam OS when it comes out, and will probably repartition anyway, but because Steam OS is Linux based is there a way to use the Windows bootloader instead of GRUB? It looks nicer and should be easier to revert changes then doing what I did all over again!

It depends on Steam OS's installer. I know with Ubuntu at least that you can install its bootloader to its own partition (as opposed to the MBR, where the main bootloader lives and is where Windows puts its), then later on add Ubuntu to the Windows bootloader using EasyBCD.

johnd
13-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Booting multiple OSs is done via a process called chain loading. GRUB cannot boot Windows directly - it has to pass the booting onto the Windows Boot Loader. Similarly the MS Windows boot loader cannot boot Linux directly - it has to pass the loading onto GRUB. Both boot loaders have to be present in some form. It is usually easier to use GRUB as the primary (first) boot loader (which happens by default if you install Linux last).

Filthygamer
14-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Cool thanks for your help. I'll have to create a disc (I already know how, just haven't yet) but I'll do it when I get around to it. Presumably I restore the windows bootloader before deleting Ubuntu?

Also, you didn't say if merging partitions wiped them?

Thanks again.

pcuser42
14-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Presumably I restore the windows bootloader before deleting Ubuntu?It doesn't matter what order you do it in :)
Also, you didn't say if merging partitions wiped them?I don't know, I've never tried it - I've only ever deleted outright and extended.

gary67
15-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Cool thanks for your help. I'll have to create a disc (I already know how, just haven't yet) but I'll do it when I get around to it. Presumably I restore the windows bootloader before deleting Ubuntu?

Also, you didn't say if merging partitions wiped them?

Thanks again.

It shouldn't (never has for me) however I always make an image first

Lawrence
15-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Plenty of options with Easy BCD http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Removed Windows 8 CP from the other comp with it and it looks like it might suit your other needs

Filthygamer
15-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Cool thanks for all your help. I'll post if I have any problems.