PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with the rename command please

EX-WESTY
11-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to install a SSD but windows has ended up on the D drive and I need to rename this to C:

What is the correct use of the Ren command to do this please?

pcuser42
11-10-2013, 09:53 PM
You can't simply change a drive letter and expect it to work. I don't think Windows will let you change the drive letter of the drive it's installed on anyway.

EX-WESTY
11-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I have cloned the drive and installed it on a SSD but it won't go any further than the startup screen for about a second. OS is Win7 64 bit

Slankydudl
11-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Why does it matter what the drive letter is? If your trying to make a drive your system drive your best bet would be to reinstall on the drive you want.

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2013, 10:06 PM
It does matter to some programs. Even tho they may install to something other than C, it doesnt mean they'll work properly after

Slankydudl
11-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Hmmm never seen that before. You would think developers would make their programs work on non system drives.

I think your only bet would be to reinstall.... Although if you are making the SSD your c drive j would assume its not as large as your other drive. So what is the pourpose of making the SSD your c drive if its for a single application, or are you just wanting to boost system performance?

EX-WESTY
11-10-2013, 11:22 PM
The SSD is bigger than the existing drive,120Gb vs 80GB
The SSD will end up as the boot drive with the operating system on it and file storage to be on a standard disk.

dugimodo
12-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Cloned drives can cause issues when both are connected at the same time.

Once you've cloned the drive you need to change the boot priority in the BIOS and it can be easier to disconnect the old drive temporarily. Also depending on the cloning software the drive may need to be set as active.
Some machines stubbornly ignore boot orders and chose the old drive anyway even sometimes if it's disabled in the BIOS. If you don't do this, or a weird situation can occur where it begins to boot of one drive but ends up using the windows files on the other. Once you get the SSD working you may have to erase the old drive.

If a clone works properly and you boot off it, then the drive letter will be the same as it was on the old disk.

pctek
12-10-2013, 06:36 AM
There's a program called Just Boot Corrector, it fixes that, you can get it back to being C: with it.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Which is part of this I think (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)

You can get a key/serial, if you're on facebook

pctek
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Which is part of this I think (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)

Hmmm.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/JustBoot-Boot-Corrector.shtml

Mines a stand alone program, burnt to disk.

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 03:36 PM
You can also manually edit the registry and change drive letters