PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new laptop freeze in game

Osmose
11-10-2013, 03:14 PM
My son played World of Tanks in my old Toshiba satellite L550 on low settings and pin game 200-300 without problem. Its windows 7. I have purchased him a better laptop HP Pavillion 15-e021 AX AMD quad core A8 - 555- M with good graphic card and its running Windows 8. He can play in high settings and game pin is 150-200 however it freezes game all the time from day one. I removed Norton but no difference. (I put Avast). He has just played in older satellite and it doesnt freeze. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks.

Edited to add he tried in low settings and it still freezes

dugimodo
11-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Have you tried updating the graphics driver? You may need to go to the HP website for the latest ones.
Not much else you can do on a laptop, is it only in this one game it has issues?

icow
11-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Ping will rarely be effected by the cpu and gpu. It doesn't matter what settings you're running the game on. It's determined by the speed of your internet connection to the host. You need to determine whether the freezes are lag (connection issue) or framerate drops (hardware and/or software issue). I'd try playing the game using an ethernet connection. If that doesn't solve it try updating your drivers (for the gpu).

inphinity
11-10-2013, 03:39 PM
When it freezes, do you have to hard reset the laptop, or does it resume playing after a while? Probably a driver issue, but could be heat or something.

Osmose
11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
its only the HP affected. He has right now both computers connected. Old one plays game fine new pc freezes in and out. I have just connected the new laptop with the cable directly to the router and ask him to play to rule out a wireless issue. We use Netsmart wimax with a speed between 7Mbs to 12Mbs download and upload. Really good internet connection.

wainuitech
11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Try this:

Press the Windows key, get to the start screen. ( no need to click anywhere) simply type in eventvwr click the result that will appear top left, then expand the Windows logs / System Look for any errors at the time of the freezing - what do they say if there are any.

You can also look at the inbuilt other logs -- again go to the start screen, type in view reli on the right next to the Settings result it should show 1 click that open view reliability History Look at the time it froze, there should be a X in a red circle or some other type of symbol, click it and below will tell you what happened ( hopefully) There may be a link depending on what it is to a fix.

Osmose
11-10-2013, 03:41 PM
We have temp core to assess temp of the cuore and it has the laptop on a fan tablet.

Osmose
11-10-2013, 03:49 PM
He has been playing for 15mn and no freeze. He is connected with the cable directly to the router. So it appears the new laptop might not have a good wireless compare to the other laptop? is it possible?

wainuitech
11-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Do the logs say anything as I suggested above ?

Osmose
11-10-2013, 03:57 PM
It hasnt freeze yet on the cable. Do I ask him to play on wireless mode until it freezes to check log?

Osmose
11-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Played in wireless mode freezes in and out. Result of log says event 7040 service control manager and the event just before event 20001 User Pnp

Osmose
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I check the wireless adapter settings and the "n" chanel was disable so did the following:
1) Right click network icon, click “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
2) Click “Change adapter settings”.
3) Right click Wireless Network Connection. Click Properties.
4) From Networking tab, click Configure.
5) From Advanced tab, click “Adhoc 11n”.
6) From Value drop down, select Enable.
7) Click OK.

I see also a game chanel under the adhoc chanel and it is not enable. Would that improve the wireless connection if I enable it?

Anyway will see how it goes.

Osmose
12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
It is a wireless problem. HP doesn't have as good wireless capability as Toshiba :( When playing the game wireless closer to the router its fine. What can I do to improve the wireless capability on the HP laptop?

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
If you've got a modem/router update its firmware, update the drivers for the wireless if there are any updates. Change the channel in the modem to 11. Dont put it on adhoc if you've got a modem/router. What does the modem / wireless on the laptop support?? wireless b/g or n?

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah, make sure you have the latest driver for your WiFi card

Osmose
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I checked for wireless adapter update and it says I have latest one. Laptop is brand new just bought this week. I dont have a modem as such as my IP is Netsmart wireless Wimax so we have a router TP Link WR 1043 ND running gargoyle.
The wireless on laptop support "n". I change the settings of the power management so the adapter is not switch off to save power.
The fact that the laptop works fine if closer to the router shows it's a performance issue. I might have to look at getting a USB adapter or something to boost the wireless on laptop. The laptop is only 10 metres from the router in a room beside so only one wall in between. It should be more performant. Not impressed.

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 02:08 PM
I checked for wireless adapter update and it says I have latest one.

How did you check?

wainuitech
12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
The laptop is only 10 metres from the router in a room beside so only one wall in between. It should be more performant. Not impressed. What is the actual signal strength showing ?

Also is it Windows Wifi , or some HP wifi program used to connect ?

Osmose
12-10-2013, 03:18 PM
I checked for updates following the recommendations I found in HP website. Go to network and sharing centre click on wireless, properties then driver then update and got message I was running latest driver. Date of last driver update is March 2013.
There is strength signal showing like 4 bars but it moves down to 2 bars then back 4 intermittently.
I would think it is Windows Wifi. I am not very familiar with Windows 8 first time using it. The laptop has 2 options wireless and plane. Weird thing. Plane is off and wireless on. I also reset the internet connection network, deleting it then setting up new connection.
As said HP laptop works fine if in the same room as the router. When it is in the bedroom problem happens while it doesn't with the toshiba satellite 550 or the sansung of my daughter if moved to same spot. Have also a Dell in daughter 's bedroom further away and it works fine. It does seem a performance issue.
Thanks to those reading my issue and helping by the way :)

Osmose
12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
My router support N+G+B 20-MHz and it is already in chanel 11 just checked.

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
My router support N+G+B 20-MHz and it is already in chanel 11 just checked.

I thought Chanel was No. 5 :p

Osmose
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL ops channel I mean. Chanel is French which I am. English is not my mother tongue. The worse for me as a non english native speaker is understanding Indian customer services over the phone, reason I prefer to solve my technical issues in a forum. :)

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, it sounds like you may already have the latest driver if it's from March 2013, that's pretty recent... but checking through Windows only checks the drivers available through Windows update service, so not always the latest that the hardware manufacturer may have released.

I would try to find out what exact WiFi hardware you have and see if there may be a newer driver available elsewhere.

According to this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5394933#N617 it's either a Ralink of some kind of an Atheros AR9000

What does it say in Device Manager?

Osmose
12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn driver version 12/04/2013
Its currently downloading updates for System BIOS - touchpad - audio - graphic driver - 3D drive guard - cyberlink photo director - HP UEFI support environment. Will take a while. I will post when done and if wifi is better.

wainuitech
12-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Depending on what has been updated previously -- A new laptop will still be several months ( or longer) out of date. Windows 8 will auto update many things, if these are running in the background you'll find everything will be affected, including day to day operations. May pay to manually run windows update. One way to do this -- go tot he start screen, type Control Panel open it, near the end will be windows Update, run that. ( AFTER all the ones you mentioned have installed, and Lappie rebooted.)

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn driver version 12/04/2013
Its currently downloading updates for System BIOS - touchpad - audio - graphic driver - 3D drive guard - cyberlink photo director - HP UEFI support environment. Will take a while. I will post when done and if wifi is better.

I doubt any of those will help with the WiFi issue though.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/wireless-networks/108579-ralink-rt-3290-3295-wifi-card.html Looks like other people have had the same problems. Someone claimed to fix it though:

"we found two settings on the Ralink card that were disabled. The settings were Multimedia-Gaming Mode and Power Management. We enabled the multimedia mode (it was disabled) We set the Power Management to "CAM" or constantly awake mode, which WAS set to max power savings. Changes to our controller along with the two changes on the Ralink driver seem to have solved our issues. I hope my experience can be of some help to you as well!"

Strangely though RT3290 doesn't even show up on Ralink\Mediatek's website. http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=500

Osmose
12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
I enabled the multimedia gaming mode and changed the power management settings in order to not allow to switch off the wireless adapter to save power as first step to try to resolve the issue. It didn't. I will try to boost the wireless performance with a USB wireless adapter. I will order one on Monday. Thanks Agent and al. for researching about the issue.

Osmose
12-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Agent, just read the link. Is there a different wireless card I could install in the HP laptop to replace the Ralink? Seems kinda crappy by judging other users having also issues, in another hand the laptop is overall quite good.

Agent_24
12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm sure there is, if it uses a standard form factor like mini-PCIe or such.

Osmose
22-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Updating on the issue: My router seemed to be faulty with the net so set up a new router. Got net issue fixed but problem with wireless adapter in new pc was still happening. I have set up a TP link wireless extender/repeater and it works now. Thx. :)

Osmose
07-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Another update on the issue. The laptop was freezing in game because it was overheating. I installed fanspeed programme that monitor the temperature of the CPUs and the GPU. It is a real neat programme. You can set it up to get beeps when any of those components reach the limit temperature you have set up and it can also control the fans for optimal cooling. It is a free programme and can be found at www.almico.com. I thought I share since I was impressed by this useful gadget.