PDA

View Full Version : Team Viewer

jcr1
11-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I've been looking at remote desktop utilities.
I can use win rdp very successfully between my win8 laptop and my win7 pro machine - locally that is.
I don't wish to do any more port forwarding, to make it work remotely, so after looking at various options I've installed Team Viewer, which seems to work pretty good (i.e.
if one can ignore the nagging to purchase - I can live with that).

It seems to be as secure as is possible and has some nice win explorer style file transfer options, plus a vpn option also for a kind of sftp style file transfer. I can do that stuff with Filezilla, but remote desktop is what I've been pondering.

Has anyone got any thoughts on how good it might be and whether there's better free alternatives?

inphinity
11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
TeamViewer is good, and would be my choice for personal-use remote access. GoToMyPC would be the only other one I'd consider at this stage, but it's not free and, imo, for a single user, the benefits are not worth the cost over TeamViewer (which is free for personal use).

linw
11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
That's the one I use for remote support. Does all I want it to do at the right price! Very easy to set up on the client side as no installation required. Just copy the exe.

jcr1
11-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks inphinity and linw. It really works well for me for that remote desktop use; which when I'm away I need occasionally.

11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Teamviewer has to be one of the best.
Also one of the most expensive to buy, the program is pretty good at guessing if its being used for commercial/corporate use.

Ive never tried to use it as an allways on service (like you can with VNC ) . How does it work for that, the password allways changes in single use(non installed) mode.

gary67
11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I set TV up on a frfiends pc when i moved from Nelson works brilliantly

Rod J
11-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Ive never tried to use it as an allways on service (like you can with VNC ) . How does it work for that, the password allways changes in single use(non installed) mode.

This should explain how it works for permanent access: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/first-steps-unattended-access-en.pdf

jcr1
11-10-2013, 07:49 PM
This should explain how it works for permanent access: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/first-steps-unattended-access-en.pdf

I've just done that; thanks for the link.
That should make it a lot more useful for me:D

jcr1
12-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I've taken it a step further and installed TeamViewer on my Android device (HTC one):lol:
It works very well, but more of a gimmick, than anything else - I think:confused:

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Best remote desktop control from a Cellphone would have to be LogMeIn. Hands down, it's great! It costs a little for LogMeIn Ignition on Android, but it's been money well spent for me :)

gary67
12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I use team viewer to control the computer running my Reprap so I don't have to keep running out to the garage. I have a webcam on that computer so I can get a live feed indoors of how its going

jcr1
12-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Whew, that's advanced:thumbs:

gary67
13-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Saves my poor little legs and saves on shoe leather :tui:

jcr1
13-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Saves my poor little legs and saves on shoe leather :tui:

Yeah, Nahh, yeah (as they say these days) - don't blame yah:D

Mirddes
14-10-2013, 04:42 PM