PDA

View Full Version : Using a child theme in Wordpress

DakotaNZ
10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a bit of a newbie so please bare with me here....I am using Wordpress and the twenty eleven theme, I have created a child theme using cyberduck but now I'm stuck (poet and I don't even know it). I have looked on you tube and google but can't seem to figure out the next step, how do I actually make customized changes to my site? I have tried entering the css code into the editor on wordpress and nothing happens am I supposed to enter it into cyberduck instead? I hope this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 08:37 AM
You might find this site handy http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress

Question - Are you running your website on a remote hosted server that requires files to be uploaded to the site or are you running your Wordpress site on a XAMP server on your desktop?

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Also if you want something that is better than Cyberduck for uploading files to remote servers you could try Filezilla https://filezilla-project.org/

BTW - what part of your site are you trying to make changes to via CSS?

DakotaNZ
11-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Hey Webdevguy,

I had a look at the wordpress codex page already but couldn't find the answers I was after. As for your first question about the host I am guessing (sorry newbie) it's a hosted server I use Openhost (not sure if that was what you were meaning). I also tried filezilla first off but got a little lost with it and cyberduck seemed way easier. I am trying to do things like make my header smaller, centre my widgets in the right margin and increase my margins in the body :)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Hey Webdevguy,

I had a look at the wordpress codex page already but couldn't find the answers I was after. As for your first question about the host I am guessing (sorry newbie) it's a hosted server I use Openhost (not sure if that was what you were meaning). I also tried filezilla first off but got a little lost with it and cyberduck seemed way easier. I am trying to do things like make my header smaller, centre my widgets in the right margin and increase my margins in the body :)

Yup, You answered my question correctly re Openhost (remote server hosting). FileZilla is pretty straightforward to use. When you open the application along the top: Host( where you enter your doman host eg mysite.co.nz
Then you see User name : my user name
Then Password: my site password.
Then click on Quickconnect. This will log on to the server.

Which web browser do you use? ( I mostly use Chrome or Firefox when coding and only use IE when testing browser compatibility in IE7 & 8)
Do you use the "Inspect Element" in your web browser? ( if not, do you know where to find it>)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 12:21 PM
BTW, have you made any inquiries into web design courses?

DakotaNZ
11-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi there,

Yes I have looked into a 17wk course in Web Design thru the open polytech but I don't think I will be able to do that until early next year. I have been watching everything I can on you tube and reading things on the net to learn, but sometimes a tutorial will miss out something that might not be important to them but is to me cause I need to know every single step as I have never done it before. Logging in to filezilla was OK, but I was getting stuck once I had the stuff downloaded again not knowing where to go from there, maybe I will try again. I use chrome and i'm not sure what the Inspect Element is or where to find it, sorry totally dumbie here, so any help would be great thank you :)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm guessing the 17 week course thru TOPNZ would only touch on the stuff you need to know being that it is only a short course.

For Chrome you need to go to the top tool bar>View menu>Developer>Developer Tools. Then right click on the element (heading, image or what ever) in your browser and the Inspect Element window should open on that element in your browser. The main middle window will show the HTML page of your site and the right hand window will show the CSS styles and which line on your style sheet where you can find them to edit them. Youtube tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWL2d9bGPk

As to finding decent tutorials on how to do web design with HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery I would suggest that you go http://www.codecademy.com/ and sign up(its free).
Once you have signed in, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the HTML/CSS link http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web and start with HTML Basics.

This is also a handy reference site http://www.w3schools.com/ which I use a lot.

If you want a decent code editor I would recommend using Sublime Text 2 http://www.sublimetext.com/2 Its free for students. I also use it with an awesome plugin called Emmet which helps you code faster and edit your code easier without having to work so hard :)

I would also suggest building your whole Wordpress site on your desktop first then uploading the finished site to your website - it makes editing the site much easier. If you do that you will need to install http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html server on your PC

With regards to FileZilla, I only use that to upload files to the server. For making code edits to my website I prefer to log on to my web host and do the edits on the server via the File Manager on cPanel. Its much easier. :)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I just had a look at the course outline and costs of the TOPNZ web design course, personally I would say save your $675 and do every exercise on Codecademy, it will get you a lot further for free.

If you want to look at doing a proper web design course that will give you a good foundation in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP/ MYSQL (what you need when you are using Wordpress) then I would suggest either doing the Diploma of Web Dev at Natcoll (9 months) or doing the Batchelor of Digital Media at Media Design School. Doing either of those courses will give you a better chance of getting a job as a web designer or developer.

DakotaNZ
11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the advise I really appreciate it. I am actually studying to as a Vet Nurse at the moment so wouldn't be able to take on anything to heavy study wise for a while but I will certainly keep learning what I can online. I really enjoy tinkering around with computers and thought maybe this web building thing could be a bit of a in my spare time sideline activity for the mo as I still obviously have a lot to learn. If I can figure out where I am supposed to make these little changes with the coding (in the style.css on wordpress or in a folder in cyberduck) I will at least be that little bit more knowledgeable because everything else on the site is looking pretty good, just need to make a wee tweek here and there :)

Webdevguy
11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
You may also find it easier logging into your site as the admin by going to www.mysite.co.nz/wp-admin and logging on then going to the admin dashboard>settings. Thats much easier than doing it via Cyberduck.

Good luck with studying to be a Vet Nurse, I gather thats pretty intensive stuff.

DakotaNZ
11-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks heaps, that's a stack of ideas and some stuff that looks really helpful I have briefly looked at w3schools but will def be going back for another look. Here's the description of the course:
This course will give you the skills needed to design websites that are accessible and easy to navigate. You will learn how to structure web documents using HTML, control presentation using CSS and follow World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommendations.

This course will also allow you to produce and maintain a collection of web documents, and gain an understanding of the team process involved in web design. It will also prepare you for advanced studies in web project management and web programming.

I phoned the lecturer and she said it would basically mean you could call yourself a web designer. Apparently it is a good lead in to more advanced courses that went even more into the development coding side of things, but I thought it might just be a good starting point, that said if I can learn all of that stuff online for free I'll just do that instead :)

I'm gunna go now and give your above tutorial a go and see if I can figure this out. Thanks heaps again for all your help...your a star! :)

stratex5
12-10-2013, 09:22 AM
17 weeks is nowhere near enough to scratch much more than the surface of CSS or HTML. I taught myself Visual Basic (Yes I know, the language sucks) but I definitely cannot call my self a developer. I have spent nearly 2 years learning and I have a heap to go.
But certainly check out codeacadmey it is a great source. Also if u get a chance have a look around the other languages in it as I found the structure of most programming languages are fairly similar in terms of layout.
But good luck on learning this. Learning a programming language is basically like learning a whole new language. But just remember, most programmig languages make more sense than the English language.
Cheers

Webdevguy
12-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I would highly recommend the Codecademy courses, with the W3schools site as reference material when you get stuck ( which is guaranteed to happen). I would also suggest doing the jQuery course there so that you can get an understanding of how to make your site interactive ( as in when you click on or hover over a button you get a drop down box etc)

After that if you still want to take it further you could visit one of many tutorial sites such as http://tympanus.net/codrops/ The site has numerous examples of arty interactive stuff with with tutorials on how to do them.