PDA

View Full Version : Tenda Router - used $170 data when not connected!

mzee
09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Had a problem with a Tenda Router last week. It was installed to replace another which had packed up. Overnight it consumed $170 worth of data. The Network was disconnected. Upon investigation we found that these Routers are shipped with all ports open by default. There is nothing in the setup instructions about it. Just a simple setup Wizard which connected it with no trouble, or indication of open ports.

We updated the firmware, as recommended on their website, which made it worse. Returned it to the dealer together with a claim for $170. Still arguing.

SolMiester
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
What was using the data?...must be your network no, cant see how that is the fault of the router, but perhaps PCs....so how much data is $170 worth.

mzee
09-10-2013, 03:50 PM
What was using the data?...must be your network no, cant see how that is the fault of the router, but perhaps PCs....so how much data is $170 worth.

Haven't got the figures, but it was a lot. At first the computers were left on and the excessive usage was notice, then it was left overnight with all computers powered down. Still using data overnight. My guess is that there was malware or virus in the firmware which was using our Broadband.
Anyway, it is fine now using a very old Dick Smith modem/router.

wratterus
09-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Those routers are crap, but I can't see how a router can cause traffic usage. As Sol said, it must have been a PC on your network. Are you able to post details of your usage over that period? The other option is the ISP's usage meter wasn't working properly - wouldn't be the first time.

mzee
09-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Those routers are crap, but I can't see how a router can cause traffic usage. As Sol said, it must have been a PC on your network. Are you able to post details of your usage over that period? The other option is the ISP's usage meter wasn't working properly - wouldn't be the first time.

I can't get any figures as it is away from here. I am told that the modem/router was clicking and light flickering all the time with LAN cables unplugged. Very strange. No problems with the old Dick Smith one.

Alex B
09-10-2013, 11:20 PM
From memory they allow external parties to use them as a DNS relay, worst out of the box design ever.

inphinity
10-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Insecure wifi?