PDA

View Full Version : AV for Android ??

09-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi guys
Any recommendations for AV for an Android phone.
Galaxy Ace+ , so its lower end specced ph.

Or is Android AV just overkill that will kill the systems speed ?

dugimodo
09-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Recommendations? - don't bother.
Reasoning;
It's not a PC, you can always do a factory reset and keep using it if you have to, maybe 5 mins to restore your account details and it's a functioning phone again.
AV slows down the phone
The app store is vetted and checked so it's pretty safe
Android virus's and malware are still not much of a problem.

Stick to the app store or make sure you trust an app before installing it and just leave it at that. When I got my first smartphone I installed an AV program, used it for 3 months then removed it. Teh phone immediately felt more responsive. 2 years later and a new smartphone and I'm still running without one.

Webdevguy
09-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Considering that Google doesn't monitor or quality control any apps being uploaded onto the app store I would say that anti-virus software for Android would be worth considering. While you can always through the reset process if your do unwittingly download a virus onto your phone from the store, my theory has alway been "why create work for your self if you don't have to"..

Just a thought. :)

dugimodo
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Why reduce the performance of your phone permanently on the off chance it might one day save you 5mins work? (or maybe an hour or so if you have to reinstall apps - turn on the backup feature of android) Just another thought.

It's my understanding the app store is screened for viruses etc, that's good enough for me (well that and 2+ years of trouble free smartphone use without an AV).

linw
09-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I follow the dugi philosophy!

nmercer
09-10-2013, 04:25 PM
There is malware laden apps being added to the Google Play store everyday, eventually they do get taken down by Google but there is still a window of opportunity there to get 0wned even by seemingly innocuous apps

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-japanese-not-just-one-click-fraud-google-play

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Meh that's terrible advice Webdevguy ... Before *every* app is uploaded, it's put through an automated check to ensure it's not malware.

That said, nothing is perfect, and things occasionally slip through, even with Microsoft and the Apple App Stores (I'm thinking of that time a Flashlight App, which went through Apples "Inspection" process was able to turn on WiFi Tethering before it was officially available). However for the very, very remote chance you do download something suspect, you're still well protected overall. Your phone will prompt you, for example, before sending any SMS message which may cost you.

Hard figures show that 0.001% of all apps ever attempt to evade defenses, and even less than that *actually* succeed in doing anything malicious:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/03/google-talks-android-malware-estimates-that-001-of-apps-evade-defenses-and-harm-users/

Nope, it's definitely not worth bothering with "Android AV" apps.

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Here's a snippet of what I posted on G+ after reading that thread when I was re-sharing it, last week:

Same goes for something trying to send a text message, you're warned before it'll be sent somewhere that'll cost you money. If you ignore the blatant warnings, so be it on your own head.

That'd be like in Windows, getting an alert from your Email program saying "You shouldn't actually be installing something that's been randomly emailed to you from a stranger, are you sure?" and then you say "Absolutely I'm sure!

Then, said virus pops up saying "Hey I wanna install and there's a real good chance I'm gonna do bad stuff, can I?" and you say "Sure thing, be installed".

Then once installed, it says "Hey I wanna download a whole ton of random data, that'll blow your data cap and cost you money, can I do that?" and you then say "Awww yeah why not, go for it", despite being warned and warned again and warned again...

No, I think if Windows did the aforementioned, as Android does, there would be no windows viruses... Just like there realistically in Android, is no viruses out there in the wild...

Chilling_Silence
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
eventually they do get taken down by Google but there is still a window of opportunity there to get 0wned even by seemingly innocuous apps

0wned? How do those apps affect your Android / OS in any way? There's no mention of rootkits, them *forcing* you to dial an expensive overseas destination.... Nope, the link noted from Nmercer is hardly a virus, malware or whatever... A fraudulent app potentially. However even though fraudulent apps appear from time to time on the App Store, and Google takes them down, it's something that even gets through when you have a manual check process in-place with your App Store (Photograph included):
http://reach.jdbpocketware.com/topic/139153-scam-apps-on-windows-phone-store/

However, is either of them a virus, or malware? Nope, most definitely not.

However, you can even get Malware on your iPhone without actually installing *anything*:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/trusting-iphones-plugged-into-bogus-chargers-get-a-dose-of-malware/

CYaBro
09-10-2013, 05:50 PM
We sell Eset for Android, for those that ask for it.

plod
09-10-2013, 06:05 PM
We sell Eset for Android, for those that ask for it.
And ice too eskimos if requested......

CYaBro
09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
And ice too eskimos if requested......

The customer is always right! :D

Webdevguy
10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Meh that's terrible advice Webdevguy ... Before *every* app is uploaded, it's put through an automated check to ensure it's not malware.

That said, nothing is perfect, and things occasionally slip through, even with Microsoft and the Apple App Stores (I'm thinking of that time a Flashlight App, which went through Apples "Inspection" process was able to turn on WiFi Tethering before it was officially available). However for the very, very remote chance you do download something suspect, you're still well protected overall. Your phone will prompt you, for example, before sending any SMS message which may cost you.

Hard figures show that 0.001% of all apps ever attempt to evade defenses, and even less than that *actually* succeed in doing anything malicious:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/03/google-talks-android-malware-estimates-that-001-of-apps-evade-defenses-and-harm-users/

Nope, it's definitely not worth bothering with "Android AV" apps.

Fair comment. :)

10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I guess If I keep the ph free of games & other junk apps it should be OK then.
Ive done a factory reset so is nice & clean at the moment (no ads poping up)
Cheers

paulw
10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Considering that Google doesn't monitor or quality control any apps being uploaded onto the app store I would say that anti-virus software for Android would be worth considering. While you can always through the reset process if your do unwittingly download a virus onto your phone from the store, my theory has alway been "why create work for your self if you don't have to"..

Just a thought. :)

Heard this morning on a podcast that malware is a very minor problem on Android. Most is caused by side loading of apps..

Chilling_Silence
10-10-2013, 11:09 AM
(no ads poping up)

If you *do* happen to get Ads in your notification bar, you can use this. It's a once-off scan and doesn't actively run in the background:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.addetector&hl=en

It'll tell you the apps you have on your phone that are "Ad-supported" and which networks they use. Most of the time there's no issue, but if you're curious, this will help. I believe Google have updated the Play Store T&C's so that you can no longer display Ads in the Notification Bar either.

In a nutshell: Don't sideload apps, you'll be fine.