PDA

View Full Version : A sudden new bookmark!

Greg
08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I restarted my lappie this morning and just noticed this new, uninvited addition to my bookmarks bar. Its clearly a Google thing but how the heck could it have invaded my pc? Malware?5224

pcuser42
08-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Given that it's Chrome, it may have simply appeared with a browser update (it updates silently).

inphinity
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
It's the Chrome app launcher. It was added to a recent Chrome update.

Greg
08-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Ah. Thanks guys. I really should install a better firewall.

pcuser42
08-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Ah. Thanks guys. I really should install a better firewall.

...to block browser updates!? :illogical

bevy121
08-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Silent Updates

Google Chrome Web browser checks for updates every five hours. It is using the recently open sourced Google update component code-named Omaha [7], which keeps polling for updates even when Google Chrome is not running. To control speed of update distribution and to throttle download resource usage, the update servers report newly available updates only with a certain probability, which is set on the server side per release. Once a new update is found to be available on the server, the client automatically downloads and installs it in the background without prompting the user. The new version of Google Chrome gets applied at the next restart of the browser. At the time of this writing, in April 2009, the user was not even prompted to restart the browser after a new update was ready. Given that the whole update process happens without any user interruption, Google Chrome is said to have a "silent update" mechanism. As of April 2009, the user could not disable update checks. A manual update can be initiated by choosing "About Google Chrome" in Google Chrome's settings menu.

from...
http://www.techzoom.net/publications/silent-updates/

FoxyMX
08-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Get another browser Greg. :cool:

Greg
08-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Get another browser Greg. :cool:Yep... I use Iron as my main browser, but... I also use Chrome at the same time for another of my email accounts.

stratex5
08-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Isnt Iron Browser just another Chromium based browser :confused:

inphinity
09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Isnt Iron Browser just another Chromium based browser :confused:

Yes, Iron is Chromium based.