PDA

View Full Version : Which Web Design Course?

DakotaNZ
07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,

I am thinking of doing a web design course and would like to know which one would be best for me? I would still need to work full time so I thought something I could do part time online would be ideal, I have seen Open Polytech has a course which might work but I'm actually not sure how long the course is, it just says 12hrs per week, I'm guessing it's for 1 year. Also is Web Development a much more intense subject to study? My understanding of the difference between the two is web design is more front end stuff and making things look pretty like using wordpress or dreamweaver and web development is more creating the codes behind the scenes that keep things ticking. I would just consider myself intermediate on computers at this stage (although advanced with excel although that may not be overly helpful) but am currently making my own website which I am enjoying so would like to learn more, what do you think the best course to do that would allow me to on completion perhaps start my own business helping people and businesses build their sites? Thanks for an advise in advance :)

pctek
08-10-2013, 07:28 AM
My understanding of the difference between the two is web design is more front end stuff and making things look pretty like using wordpress or dreamweaver and web development is more creating the codes behind the scenes that keep things ticking. I:)
If you want a career in this I suggest you forget the courses for making it pretty and concentrate on real skills with coding them.
Much more in demand.

Find out exactly what is being offered and what length of time - if the websites aren't clear - ring them or email them and ask.

Webdevguy
08-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Both web design and web development involve coding for front end UI and server side. If you want to get into website design be aware that you will be required to complete at least 40 hours study per week which is normally made up of approx 3 hrs of tutorial time per day, 5 days per week as well as self directed learning of an additional 6 hours per day ( or as much as you feel necessary). Both web development and web design are very challenging courses to take.

Currently Natcoll(Youbee) do a 9 month web development course which costs just over $5,000. You can arrange for a student loan. Their course is more developer hand coding orientated although if you are a talented graphic designer, that will be a benefit. Natcoll also discourage using Wordpress in favour of students building their own backend server setup from scratch using hand coded PHP with PHP MyAdmin with MySQL in XAMP, MAMP or WAMP.
Although the school uses iMacs with Bootcamp running Windows and Mac, they do allow students to take their own PC or Mac laptops in and work on them (tends to be easier for portability when doing the server side section of the course)
Natcolls after hours lab is open till midnight.

Media Design School have replaced their 9 month Diploma of Digital Media ($9,000) with a 3 year Degree course where you decide what you want to do after the first year of study. Media Design labs are open till 9am.

Both schools are open in the weekends.

There are some very good tutorial resources available online for first time to advanced coders in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, PHP etc if you are wanting to have a look at the difference between a web site framework code like HTML5 and a front-end scripting code like Javascript or its easier to use cousin, jQuery.

There are also good resources for PHP, but I would suggest that you learn the intricacies and scripting logic of Javascript or jQuery first before stepping up to PHP.