PDA

View Full Version : Can you run two modems off one phone line?

taxboy4
07-10-2013, 08:44 PM
ok, suspect this is a dumb question but here goes!

I have tried extenders in my two story house with no success so was wondering , can i plug two routers in the phone lines and will they both work?

Happy to just have a modem with cable to my main PC downstairs but want to feed my internet devices (apple TV, WD Media Player, various i devices and IP cameras)

wratterus
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Nope - Only one at a time.

Perhaps a decent wireless setup, some new cabling or EoP adapter kit might be the answer?

CliveM
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
No you can't do that. Try Wrat's suggestions.

wainuitech
07-10-2013, 09:06 PM
They wont work like that, normally only one Modem / Line. Where you mention about a cable, are you able to run a cable from the modem to the room you have the other devices. If you can then attach a access point.

You can get Ethernet over power, meaning the signal goes through your power wires. EXAMPLE here (http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/TP-Link-AV500-Mini-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Starter-Kit-with-100Mbps-Fast-Ethernet/21208347/) But there can also be problems and not as reliable as a access point connected to the router.

Agent_24
07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Might be just the antennas you were using. Try directional ones perhaps?

Cato
07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Buy another wireless router and run an ethernet cable to the modem?

taxboy4
08-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Buy another wireless router and run an ethernet cable to the modem?

So basically run a cable from my existing wireless router / modem upstairs to a wireless router (not a combined one with modem) - so that would show up as two wireless networks?

wainuitech
08-10-2013, 07:42 PM
So basically run a cable from my existing wireless router / modem upstairs to a wireless router (not a combined one with modem) - so that would show up as two wireless networks?

Attaching a Access Point to the end of the cable would be cheaper and work just as well, that way its on the same IP range. The only downside is a Access Point is only wireless, so you couldn't plug in more connections.

Our setup is the Router is in a bedroom/office, the Ethernet cable is roughly 25-30Mtrs long, runs under the house, up through the floor in the lounge and the Access point connected to that, set our own IP on it. Similar to the TP-LINK TL-WR740N ( mines a earlier version) But Take your pick from these (http://www.priceme.co.nz/Wireless-Access-Points/c-714.aspx) - just some examples.

linw
08-10-2013, 09:46 PM
More accurate to say one network with two wireless access points. My setup is the same as WT's. From my downstairs modem/router I run a 20m ethernet cable up to my lounge behind the TV where the second wireless router gives wireless and cable access. Just allocate an IP address within your sub net and all will work as one network. Don't forget to configure the router as an AP to stop it trying to allocate IP addresses and mess with DNS.

Good luck and ask more questions if needed.

wainuitech
08-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Don't forget to configure the router as an AP to stop it trying to allocate IP addresses and mess with DNS. :D :thumbs:

That one catches a lot of people out with routers if you dont know about it and wonder why it doesn't work :confused:

taxboy4
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Thank you everyone!

Paul.Cov
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
There's more to this case than has so far been dealt with.

At work we've recently been through this very same question.

There's now an ADSL splitter installed on the line, with two seperate routers working off the phone line, one system being heavily locked down to deal with private and corporate data, and the other more open for a particular piece of hardware that needs to 'phone home' via the net.

This has avoided compromising the security that has been set up within the corporate side router (and rendered our use of the internet to near nil when it was the only hardware in place). We've now got a lot more functionality via the other router for the bits and bobs that happen outside of the private network.

Dunno how each one deals with the initial authentication issues when turned on, but it works. Speed seems ok, but we don't do much to ever tax it. It bogged down when we tried to view the Am Cup final, but that might have been due to server issues at the other end.

wratterus
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
You sure that's not either two seperate routers and one modem, or perhaps two physical lines? It's not technically possible to have two modems on the same phone line at the same time.

Agent_24
10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Probably one "line" with two pairs, and two routers.