View Full Version : Laptops permissions changed overnight

05-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi all, I think I may be having a virus issue on the family laptop running Windows Vista home. A lot of permissions have changed so I can't delete anything and I have to manually change them so I can. All the anti virus software doesn't work now, msconfig.exe has gone which is very odd, entire Microsoft office folder was locked down (I couldn't use word or anything), multiple folders were also locked down and errors occur when trying to run certain programs e.g. malwarebytes and spybot. This wasn't the case yesterday:illogical. This has totally stumped me on what action to take. It would take me forever to give admin privileges to folders and files and my antivirus software doesn't work. I've tried deleting all remains of the anti virus software then reinstalling it but with no success in getting them going again.
Please advise on what to do with this issue :nerd:. Thanks a lot. :) :help:

I can't send a HiJackThis Log as when I install it, the computer claims it can't find it when I can. Sorry about that.
It seems I can't install anything without getting some sort of error...:badpc:

I might use Norton ghost to restore a back up. I don't know.
I still have to check system restore yet.

05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
System restore is gone too. :(

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Whats the error youre getting when you try and install something?

06-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Doesn't matter now, thanks anyway speedy. I used the Norton recovery disk to restore a back up. It works fine now.

06-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Would be interesting to know what caused the problems though...

07-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Would be interesting to know what caused the problems though...

Some Possible causes: Malware, Software Corruption, profile Corruption, Hard Drive starting to Fail ( bad sectors).

07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
That fake anti-malware malware that was going around a while back did a lot of the same things so it sounds like maybe you got infected with something.
The fix for the older version (haven't experienced any of the more recent ones to comment on) was to rename MBAM to explorer.exe or .com and run it from safe mode because the malware blocked all software except what was required to get online and pay them their extortion fee you trick it by renaming.

Regarding previous comments, probably a good Idea to do some scanning/ testing to confirm all is ok now

07-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Restored the laptop to about July this year. But, it's better being safe then sorry.

07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Malwarebytes came up with 18 infections, 2 of which were trojans.