PDA

View Full Version : Advice on server hardware for fileserver\NAS

Agent_24
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I want to upgrade my data storage to a 'proper' fileserver\NAS.
I'll probably run FreeNAS or some version of BSD so I can use ZFS as it appears to be the best, and they recommend ECC RAM since that's what ZFS expects.

At first I looked at building my own from standard parts, then realised practically nothing supports ECC RAM, and those which do, well, who knows how good it is?

So then I started looking at server-grade boards, which are expensive new - but not second hand. There are HP ProLiant servers and similar on Trademe for far less than it would cost to buy just a motherboard.

My question is, are these servers (like the HP ProLiant line) actually any good, and is there anything to watch out for - has anyone does this before and has any advice?

inphinity
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
The HP MicroServer line (Gen7 - N40L, N54L or Gen8 - G1610T, G2020T) are great for this sort of thing. They're affordable, good build quality and good performance. There's even a Wikia (http://n40l.wikia.com/) dedicated to them.

SolMiester
03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
HP Proliant are very reliable, my home server is a 350 G5, 7 yrs old....!

gary67
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm running Amahi home server which is Linux based. I run it on an old P4 headless with 3GB RAM it runs very well streams everything I want and can also back up 2 PC's at the same time