PDA

View Full Version : Liquid desktop engine under Mandrake 8.1

07-12-2001, 08:49 PM
I downloaded the sources for the Liquid desktop engine (as seen in Geoff Palmer's column this month in PC World), decompressing them to /usr/local/src. I then followed the instructions in the readme but to my dismay the 'Liquid' addition to 'LookNFeel' in the KDE control centre didn't appear. The mosfet.org site states the RedHat Liquid RPM's don't work under Mandrake, hence the source file download. If anyone (Geoff included...) could let me know how to get this running I would be hugely appreciative. Thanks.

08-12-2001, 12:32 AM
Hi,

IT is DEFINATELY possible to use an .rpm under mandrake, you can install it using software manager on your desktop, or go into a terminal window, CD to the directory conatining the rpm, then type rpm - ivh *****

Where ***** is the name of the rpm in question... Your problem may be that you are lacking some libraries that are needed by the Liquid desktop engine, in which case you will need to download and install them too... You can get just about anything form www.rpmfind.net, just search for the name of the dependacy it asks for. If it asks for a .so or .so.1.2 or a similar file, enter that, and rpmfind will locate the packages containing it! Wonderful website!!

Hope that helps!!

08-12-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your reply, however the problem is the RedHat RPM's won't work under Mandrake as Mandrake changed the location of KDE .desktop files from applnk to applnk-mdk. Hence the need to install via the source files.