PDA

View Full Version : Backup software for home network?

stuffed
02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Anyone suggestions for good backup software. Just for a home network between W7 PCs. Even prepared to pay for it!
Thanks

Jayess64
02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Acronis True Image. Hasn't failed me yet.

DeSade
02-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Windows7 built in backup works perfectly well for me, never needed anything more.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Are you wanting a full backup of complete system image? Or are you wanting to just do images / documents?

Are you wanting a 1:1 backup locally, to a network share, to a USB drive? Or do you want it off-site?

stuffed
02-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Windows backup works fine on 1 PC to the other but in normal Nanny MS style won't allow access to the drive on the other PC. Yea know about File Sharing options but am at the stage that am sick of the whole Windows OS!
Ok rant over - tried Backupper - it froze. EaseUS Todo - in the process of trying to set that up.
As said - just want to back up on the home network - eg My Docs.

gary67
02-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Active@ the best I have found as used by Wainuitech. Acronis causes problems as does Macrium. The free trial from Active@ is a full working edition no limitations and doesn't cost very much if you like it

linw
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Errrr, what problems does Macrium cause? I must have missed them.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Why not just setup like a sync with Google Drive for your docs?

For doing it on the network you could just write a batch script that's triggered nightly to do it for you?

stuffed
02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Well after a lot of drilling and blasting eventually got the 2nd PC to back up via Windows! It kept asking for login and PW - sigh - and after many tries came up with the right combination. Recall that when set up both these PCs a couple of years ago on the network it was a real MS battle. To be quite frank will be pleased when can just do everything in the iPad but setting Excel formulas is still best on the damn PC!

Agent_24
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I've been trying out one called Duplicati

smurf
02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Have a look at a free one: AOMEI Backupper---whoops this might be the one you tried, but it works wonderfully well for me on a Windows 7 machine.

linw
02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Certainly is simple. Tried a restore?

Running a try out now on win8.

wainuitech
02-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Been having a play with AOMEI Backupper over the last few weeks.

The earlier version 1.0 didn't have network backup, the latest does. Been backing up / Restoring to / From USB drives and it works reasonably good, tried W7 & 8 so far. Mind you thats from the bootable WINPE CD you can make, not directly from within the program.

linw
02-10-2013, 09:47 PM
It backed up 63GB from within win8 to a full size ext drive. The backup file was 40GB and it took 8 min.

Those speeds and compression rate are pretty impressive. Just that it is hard to go away from a tool you have come to trust to a complete unknown!!

linw
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Now see you can explore the image - this works!

Also has scheduling and incremental and differential backups.

Pretty impressive for the price!!

wainuitech
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Just that it is hard to go away from a tool you have come to trust to a complete unknown!!

Thats true. I've used Active@ for quite a while, its not free for the version that contains a bootable CD, but I found it works for me anyway.

Some backup software appears to work OK till you go to put data back, then it all turns pear shaped.

One example of that is the Acronis -- Know a few people who thought the backups were doing their thing, BUT when it came to a time they needed to put files back it failed with a message along the lines of "not a valid file" One lady contacted Acronis, and was told in no uncertain terms it was her fault for not checking the backups before they were needed. Hmmmmmmmm While that partly true the "average joe" expects the software to work.

A full image test -- Image/ backup a drive, disconnect the drive,attach another drive, wipe it clean, then put the image back to the different drive -- If its worked it should put the OS/ programs and data back and boot straight away as the original, with the pop up saying New Drive and asks for a reboot.

Backing up data only is OK, but you still need a full image other wise you have to manually reinstall the OS/ Programs run updates etc, THEN put ya data back.

linw
02-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi, WT. Like you, I have one I trust, namely, Macrium Reflect. I haven't had to 'test' the restore very often but it has worked fine several times on various machines.

Yea, I am also a great fan of imaging. Makes huge sense, especially as you can extract files if you want.

But that Backupper does look very interesting, particularly as it has incremental and differential options plus the other features like cloning, scheduling, boot disk etc.

gary67
03-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Errrr, what problems does Macrium cause? I must have missed them.
It completely trashed a Windows 7 machine I own. Had to be reinstalled from scratch

linw
03-10-2013, 07:57 AM
How did it do that? Bad restore??

gary67
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Nope while doing the actual backup