PDA

View Full Version : CPU temp

07-12-2001, 08:36 PM
I see u guys, and gals, talking about the temp of the cpu, but how can u tell what the temp is?
I suspect, from the sound eminating from my case, that one of my fans has stopped.
Cheers.

07-12-2001, 09:35 PM
most newish motherboards have temp sensors on them or they use the cpu's built in one. you can either read the temps in bios or use a program to enable you to read them in windows. check with your motherboard manafacture first as they may have a program designed and calabraited for that motherbaord. failing that there are several third party ones such as mbm.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

if your fans sound funny i suggest you open up your case and check if any have stopped or behaving eratic. replace any faulty's. don't forget to check any case and power supply fans. also it might be a good time to give the heatsink a clean out.

07-12-2001, 11:23 PM
Thanks tweak e. I'll try that.
What do u think about those CPU cooler programs. Sounds a bit suspect to me.

08-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Hi,

Try 'motherboard monitor 5' for monitoring your system. It does CPU temp, system temp and as many extra sensors as you could ever want, plus system voltages, fan speeds, and it can sound an alarm or shut down your PC if anything goes wrong....handy

Get it from:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download/MBM5102.EXE

Have fun!

Erin

08-12-2001, 02:54 AM
Thanks tweak'e and Erin.
Downloaded and installed MBM5. Quite neat. It has shown me my second fan aint goin. Took machine in a couple of weeks ago to get more ram while it was cheap and must have bumped it and disconnected. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Problem: My bios shows -
current cpu temp 42C/107F
current system temp 27C/80F

But MBM5 reports 22/31/27 on the three sensors.

The three sensors that I have, does one of them monitor the cpu temp, and if so, why does bios show 42C while the MBM5 figures are a lot lower?

09-12-2001, 01:34 AM
not to sure on that. what cpu and mobo do u have?? check if the mobo is known to report incorect temps..there may be a bios update to fix it.