PDA

View Full Version : UFB installation

b....
29-09-2013, 10:19 PM
UFB will soon be installed in our street and I was wondering how they get the lead from the property frontage to the house.
Is it being done by digging a trench or by horizontal directional boring?

Don't like the chances that I would be allowed to dig up the front lawn.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah they lay a cable, usually down beside a footpath / driveway where possible AFAIK?

Alex B
29-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Either below ground or sometimes over head, depending on how they ran the fiber in the first place.

Nomad
29-09-2013, 11:11 PM
If you have a front lawn a Downer contractor comes over before the install and use a underground digger, it makes a few holes in your lawn as it digs under. When they laid the fiber line on your pedestrian pathment they should have put in a outlet for each property or drive way it might be a green tube and they cover it back up with garden debrie.

But once they grab the round piece of dirt for the holes and pop it back in .... you won't notice it. It is not like they have to dig a long trench.

b....
30-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Guess I will have to ask how they plan to bring the fibre in before signing up.

DeSade
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
"allowed to dig up the front lawn"

Sounds like you are a renter, in that case do not sign up without obtaining permission from your land-lord.

Nomad
01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
also the chorus guys need signature to install and drill walls too for that whit box inside and outside and the conduits. ..... they either put in a new fiber pipe from.road to your lounge or they put it up to the main jack of the house. ......

b....
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Not a renter, but would have absolutely no chance to get permission from Mrs b to make a mess of "her" front lawn.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Nah they're actually pretty darn good at it. Can't imagine a million-odd homes with wrecked lawns would go down too well as part of a proposal process ;) No they're generally pretty tidy, and it's just a small bit of a dig around the outside of the yard or near your footpath / driveway. They're not tearing the *whole* thing up :p

wratterus
02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Not a renter, but would have absolutely no chance to get permission from Mrs b to make a mess of "her" front lawn.

Dig first, ask questions later. Same with trees. ;)

DeSade
02-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Dig first, ask questions later. Same with trees. ;)

I agree, its worth a little agro.

Chilling_Silence
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
"Forgiveness is easier to ask, than permission"

....wait what? :D

dugimodo
02-10-2013, 01:22 PM
"Forgiveness is easier to ask, than permission"

....wait what? :D
Yeah but is it any easier to get, the potential fallout is greater.

Anyway the contractors are pretty good at their jobs and don't tend to leave a big mess, plus you can always have someone home to make sure if you're worried about it. Won't necessarily be Downer either, depends on the area.

Webbnzl
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
If you have a conduit/pipe with your copper line in the ground already then they'll use that.

linw
02-10-2013, 09:13 PM
That's what happened with my install. No lawn digging!