PDA

View Full Version : How do you update wireless drivers if the wireless is onboard and it hangs?

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2013, 07:11 PM
I've tried the ones off the HP site for this netbook, the install says to remove the adapter? Say what?? It doesnt matter what driver I try to install it hangs. But if I turn it off then on (when it freezes), the wireless is fine (I think). Well the entry in DM says it's fine / working

Agent_24
29-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Is it not a mini-PCIE card?
Would help if you gave the model of the netbook and WiFi adapter.

Perhaps the hardware is faulty.

Try it in Linux?

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 06:56 AM
No the hardware isnt faulty. I can update Win7 through it. Device manager says its working, Its a Mini 311-1110TU. And it's an Atheros 9285 wireless adapter. It still works after it hangs, (after I turn it off then on).

Pretty stupid that the driver for it, on the HP site doesnt work either (without freezing the system 1/2 through the install).

I'm not going to worry about it, it still works for now after updating the driver

Agent_24
30-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I would try latest from there: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Well the latest drivers, from there did the same thing (froze it after a few secs). But it still works after I turn it off then on

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I dont have Linux installed. 2 probs with the cz driver. It hung like the other drivers. And the netbook wouldnt shut down. As soon as I went back to the original driver, it shut down

Agent_24
30-09-2013, 09:07 AM
You can run Linux live off a CD or USB drive

SolMiester
30-09-2013, 02:43 PM
I've tried the ones off the HP site for this netbook, the install says to remove the adapter? Say what?? It doesnt matter what driver I try to install it hangs. But if I turn it off then on (when it freezes), the wireless is fine (I think). Well the entry in DM says it's fine / working

Download the drivers first!

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah I did and?

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Cant remove the card anyway the screw is screwed lol.

SolMiester
30-09-2013, 07:14 PM
oh, hanging while updated drivers installed...k, read it wrong, check the hardware revision and driver match, check for firmware update. Last ditch force IRQ settings with a change and try update.

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Yup every driver I tried (that matches the hardware id of the card got so far (with installing) and it froze the whole system. The HP drivers ( an exe file). did say something about removing the card (which I cant remove, since one screw is knackered). The HP drivers froze the system as well

Otherwise, I would have removed the card first then installed a later driver. There was / or is a later driver on windowsupdate as well. But that froze the system too, while it was installing

Even tho every driver I tried froze, if I turned it off then on, DM showed it was working. And it was. I could still get online.

Only prob (with a few of the drivers I did install), I couldn't untick the option under power management under its entry, it froze the system. And with the latest driver I found (which was a 2013 driver), it not only froze the system while installing the driver, it must have been buggy or something. Because I couldn't shut the netbook down. Dont think there's a later FW version for it (well, not on the HP site anyway)

The wireless is working now with the drivers Win7 installed

SolMiester
30-09-2013, 08:32 PM
How how uninstalling the driver first, disable hardware in DM, then install new driver manually, re-enable the adapter to find new driver?

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2013, 08:37 PM
3 of the installs were thru DM (using inf files only.). The only one that I installed (with a setup file) was the HP file.

The (updated drivers) I installed, have now been uninstalled (through DM). None of them put entries in programs and features. The only entry left in DM is the default Win7 driver. Which is the only one that works / doesn't freeze the system

Speedy Gonzales
01-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Trying Ubuntu on this now. I copied / extracted the ISO to a USB flash drive, using Rufus. It picked up the wireless fine, I'm using it now. It also picked up the wireless adapter for the MS kb / mouse.