PDA

View Full Version : New PC Specs and Price

taxboy4
29-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi there

Looking at buying this - pre made as i have not the skill.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB7012W&name=AMD-Extreme-Edition-FX-9370-8-Core-4.4Ghz-with-Liq

All comments welcome!

darkoverlord123
29-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Great system, but might go for a system like this http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB6509W&name=PB-6509W-Intel-Latest-Haswell-Core-i7-4770-3.4Ghz- and use the leftover money to get 16GB RAM and some few games, or a better gpu or cpu, completely up to you though.

icow
29-09-2013, 07:52 PM
+1 to the 4770 system

I don't think either are amazing value but for a pre-built system the 2nd one isn't bad.

dugimodo
29-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Yeah go the i7, better all round

ChazTheGeek
30-09-2013, 09:22 AM
+1. It also has a much better case for expandability.
Though you will be limited to only 16GB RAM as it is using Windows 7 home premium.

darkoverlord123
30-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah, with the i7 you get a 7970, which gives you the never settle bundle, which gives you free games to download off steam, which is Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, which all are fantastic games. And if you upgrade to 16GB that makes the pc up to about $2450, and with and cheap cooling system, http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=FANCLM0213&name=COOLER-MASTER-HYPER-212-EVO-COOLER-120mm-PWM-Fan-4 which is about $50, then it makes the PC total cost about $2500, plus about $75 labour, it equals the current system you were thinking

darkoverlord123
30-09-2013, 11:34 AM
And with the leftover money you can get a gaming mouse, and a keyboard if you REALLY need it, and a headset.

taxboy4
30-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts!

My old PC is nearly 4 years old and runs like a dog...now just need to convince my wife....

SolMiester
30-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, i disagree with the CPU choice HDD size....non-k CPU with a high end GPU?...if it were me, id drop to Ivy Bridge K or a least a board that will give you 4ghz min.....3.4ghz with a 7970...LOL....1TB drive...<shakes head>...you could double the size for 25% more!
And at least let AMD rebadge its 7xxx before you buy one!

dugimodo
30-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Overclocking is not for everyone, some people just want to buy a working system and use it as is.
Also overclocked or not an i5 or i7 is unlikely to bottleneck many games with any single graphics card no matter how powerful, there just aren't that many titles that require anything more than a stock i5 for decent framerates.

I have a 3770 non K with a 7970 and I'm very happy with it in general, although I wish I'd waited a couple more weeks and got a 760 but I didn't know they were coming.

You have to factor in real world experiences if possible rather than just rely on benchmarks when selecting graphics cards. For example I had a GTX580 but it wouldn't fit in my new itx case as it was 3 slots wide so I decided on a GTX670 to replace it because they were on special. I missed the special and bought a 7970 instead because it was cheaper and by all accounts faster than the 670, I regret it.

WoW plays worse on a 7970 than a 580, far cry 3 is not noticably any better on the same settings, Crysis 3 has to be scaled back because it crashes my system on the highest settings despite running smoothly when it runs. Also these cards are meant to be good overclockers, mine got unstable if I moved it off the stock clocks at all.
All in all I moved to AMD based on price and online reviews and had a bad experience that made me regret it. I've had great cards from both Nvidia & AMD but the experience has been far mre consistant and reliable on the Nvidia side for me at least.

Don't think I'm saying the 7970 is a bad card, all the games I have tried play very smoothly and look great despite the issues I've had. It's just that AMD seem to take a long time to get their drivers sorted.

darkoverlord123
30-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Overclocking is not for everyone, some people just want to buy a working system and use it as is.
Also overclocked or not an i5 or i7 is unlikely to bottleneck many games with any single graphics card no matter how powerful, there just aren't that many titles that require anything more than a stock i5 for decent framerates.

I have a 3770 non K with a 7970 and I'm very happy with it in general, although I wish I'd waited a couple more weeks and got a 760 but I didn't know they were coming.

You have to factor in real world experiences if possible rather than just rely on benchmarks when selecting graphics cards. For example I had a GTX580 but it wouldn't fit in my new itx case as it was 3 slots wide so I decided on a GTX670 to replace it because they were on special. I missed the special and bought a 7970 instead because it was cheaper and by all accounts faster than the 670, I regret it.

WoW plays worse on a 7970 than a 580, far cry 3 is not noticably any better on the same settings, Crysis 3 has to be scaled back because it crashes my system on the highest settings despite running smoothly when it runs. Also these cards are meant to be good overclockers, mine got unstable if I moved it off the stock clocks at all.
All in all I moved to AMD based on price and online reviews and had a bad experience that made me regret it. I've had great cards from both Nvidia & AMD but the experience has been far mre consistant and reliable on the Nvidia side for me at least.

Don't think I'm saying the 7970 is a bad card, all the games I have tried play very smoothly and look great despite the issues I've had. It's just that AMD seem to take a long time to get their drivers sorted. Very good argument, and for the same price as the 7970 that comes with the PC you can get a 4GB 760; http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAEVG3768&name=EVGA-GeForce-GTX760-4G-FTW-ACX-Cooling-With-Dual-B

SolMiester
30-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Overclocking is not for everyone true, but im just giving the options...