PDA

View Full Version : Certain WMA Audio files problem

Neil F
27-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Some years back I joined Digirama NZ and purchased The United Artists Collection by Gordon Lightfoot -49 songs for about NZ$17.The files show extension wma
All was fine until recently. Now when I try to play any of those songs using Windows Media Player I get an error message about downloading /changing Media Usage Rights but the Digirama NZ website has gone-presumably out of business..

I then tried playing the songs using VLC Media player (I have latest version). The song appears to play but no sound occurs.

Other wma files on my Pc play the music normally with Windows Media Player.

The only matter I can think of is that in April I converted from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit but I am "fairly sure" that I had successfully played Gordon Lightfoot after that date.

Any ideas how to be able to play these Gordon Lightfoot files again?.
thanks

Neil

Terry Porritt
27-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Sounds as though you may have been caught out by DRM corruption of some sort:
"Furthermore, works can become permanently inaccessible if the DRM scheme changes or if the service is discontinued."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

The lesson basically is to re-record (not file copy) anything that has DRM, either music or video, so that it can be kept "in perpetuity"

For example with one site where wmv videos with DRM can be downloaded you also have to download the rights which go into a DRM folder, so that the video can be viewed.

If that folder gets damaged or deleted you can't watch the videos, it may be the same with wma audio files, though I have no experience with those.

The site I'm talking about also has time limits on the DRM, and when they expire the video goes too, unless it has been re-recorded.

There is software usually not free, that will strip DRM, but you have to have the rights downloaded and working for programs to work.

dugimodo
28-09-2013, 02:50 AM
You could try E-mailing support@marbecksdigital.co.nz they may still be able to help you. The music side of it closed down in april. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=48&topicid=115897

I know they switch to unprotected MP3's for a while, probably due to issues like these. Best bet is to create an Audio CD from protected files and store it somewhere for times like this. Seems backwards these days but it's the safest way.

Driftwood
28-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I have quite a few of those in my music collection.
No problem to play on Windows Media Player.
But my main media centre is on Linux & it baulks at playing them.

Neil F
28-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have emailed Marbecks tonight. Yes with hindsight I should have burned to a CD.

regards

Neil F