PDA

View Full Version : Work Email address

Obelix
26-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Okay I was made redundant from my position in June of this year.

I know that my work email address has not been deactivated as they forwarded me a personal message from it 2 weeks ago.

Is there a legal or even ethical time-frame for that address to be removed.

Not that I think they would, but they could be sending out emails in my name, and I would not even know.

Now that I have started a new job, I am curious to know where I stand, if anywhere.

inphinity
26-09-2013, 11:22 AM
As far as I'm aware there's no obligation or requirement around deactivating an ex-employees company email account. Many businesses keep them open to ensure they receive email from customers/suppliers/whatever who may have had your address saved somewhere as a point of contact. Given you should only have had work-related stuff being sent to or from it, there should be no issue or concern.

26-09-2013, 11:47 AM
That email adress in OWNED by your ex employer. They can do what they want with it.

They will keep that email active & just forward it to someone else in the company, this is common practice and makes alot of sense.
What if say a customer only had that one email adress & was trying to contact the company about something, a sale or whatever. Customers often dont update their contact lists with the new email adress .

They cant send out emails pretending to be you however , not much you can do about that though.

Company email is owned by the company. Its not private email. They have the right to open & read all work email & sometimes do, without you knowing.
I dont know why people seem to think these emails are private or personal .
Not saying thats what you think, :) just speaking generally from experience. Staff using company email for personal stuff then get all upity about others needing/having access to the inbox.

On the other hand, employers should make it known that all company email is owned by the company & is not private. Ive had to sign a Policy doc acknowledging this (& internet use policy) at one place I worked.

DeSade
26-09-2013, 12:14 PM
It is actually very nice of them to forward the private email that came in.
Most would simply delete it.