PDA

View Full Version : Many copies of emails arriving

Tony
24-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Over the last couple of days I have received multiple (as in >10) copies of a whole bunch of emails from one person. Each copy has a different time stamp. They seem to arrive in batches - a bunch arrived together yesterday, then more copies arrived this evening. But wait, there's more... I've also had one email duplicated - only 2 copies this time - from another person. I have heard this has also happened to my next door neighbour with emails from the same sources. One ISP is Vodafone, the other Xtra, so that's not the issue. Emails from other sources are appearing singly.

Has anyone any experience of this, or know what might be happening?

Agent_24
25-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe those particular senders are having some problems with their email systems?

Lurking
25-09-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

Tony
25-09-2013, 11:51 AM
I've asked them both what email client they use, but haven't heard back yet. I looked at the Outlook.com FAQ and my gut feeling based on knowing both the senders is that none of those situations apply. I have had this happen in the past with other senders - it seems to happen for a few days and then stop. I'm sure it will be some sort of configuration issue, but both of these people are unlikely to be playing with their setups.

effie c
25-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi all,

Do not fret !!!

I have had this phenemon for years,some with postcard chess some with ordinary e mails-none can give me a real answer-it cannot be xtra ( my ISP ) nor slingshot, orcon, and so on, it happens to all. And I do not believe in a sender's wrong settings, as they come right after say three weeks.

Literally none is free of this pain in the butt, then I get a complete loss of sic., chess games, in both Soundcard and postcardchess,variation some turn up three weeks later some never !!!

Coupled with ordinary personal e mails which never arrive-----it ain't funny

Effie c

berryb
25-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I don’t think this is your issue and aready covered in a way in the HowTo posted but I installed a new PC with Outlook 2013 replacing a PC with Outlook 2003. There is another PC with Outlook 2007 that was the removing email PC and was set leaving mail on the server for 14 days.
Once I configured the new Outlook 2013 to receive email and leave on the server it was duplicating all emails.

I had to make Outlook 2013 leave mail on the server and remove after 14days and change Outlook 2010 to just leave the mail on the server.
This resolved the issue.
If you have multiple devices checking the same mailbox then I have seen strange things happen. I normally setup the check email times at different intervals to try and avoid multiple devices checking at the same time.
If you only have one device then this will not have any relation to your issue.

Tony
25-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info, but that is not my case, and anyway would not explain why I am getting multiple emails from a couple of sources but single ones from others.

fred_fish
25-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Compare the headers (view "message source" in outlook, or save as text files) to see where the duplication is happening.

Tony
25-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Since my last post I've had duplicates from yet another source.