PDA

View Full Version : What's this a sign of??

pct
24-09-2013, 11:48 AM
screen cable?? any ideas?5211

SolMiester
24-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Looks like its a sign the computer is shutting down...the weird tiling of the screen looks curious though...might need some more info...cable type, age of PC, when did this happen, what were you doing etc...

pct
24-09-2013, 01:42 PM
lol
Yes, shutting down...that could be it!!

Hmm don't know the cable type, age of PC three - 4 years?? I got it off someone who had it and also had problems, I think they suspected screen cable. It was working fine yesterday for me so I assumed no problem, but it seemed like the more use it was under, the more it played up...screen wasn't tiled yesterday, was changing colour and shutting down occasionally. turned on this morning (after restoring to factory) and that's how it is

SolMiester
24-09-2013, 02:40 PM
You will need to check the device manager to see if any components are missing drivers, ie: motherboard chipset amd GPU drivers....oh, and of course, see if you can get a new cable, check resolution etc is correct for the monitor....could be impending GPU failure and hence the previous owners selling!
you could list the components if known, or perhaps pc model etc...

pct
24-09-2013, 02:57 PM
You will need to check the device manager to see if any components are missing drivers, ie: motherboard chipset amd GPU drivers....oh, and of course, see if you can get a new cable, check resolution etc is correct for the monitor....could be impending GPU failure and hence the previous owners selling!
you could list the components if known, or perhaps pc model etc...

Thanks the model is an Asus w7s and it doesn't have any of the driver updates installed yet as it has just had a clean install of windows...will try that now!

:)

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Check and see what BIOS is on it too. Its up to 309. 308 is an Nvidia BIOS update. Probably for the onboard video

pct
24-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Will the bios update under windows updates?? Or do they need to be downloaded individually..?

Also looking on the Asus website there are quite a few bios updates available ...do I need to download them all or just the latest?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Just the latest if it hasnt got it on it already. And no you cant get BIOS updates through windowsupdates. Since its not a windows file. It looks like you can use ASUS liveupdate to update the BIOS. But if you use this, dont update it by checking then updating it through Liveupdate. This may freeze and then it'll brick it.

If its got the option to load the BIOS update get the update unzip it then load it

pct
24-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks speedy.

Which bios update would you use? http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=W7S&p=3&os=

32 bit vista

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 07:16 PM
309 the latest. What BIOS is on it now?

pct
24-09-2013, 07:48 PM
umm version 60.86.38.00.31
If that makes sense..?

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Nope it doesnt lol. Doesnt sound like a bios version to me

pct
24-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Nope it doesnt lol. Doesnt sound like a bios version to me

hahaha I thought it sounded strange

Current version is 206, last updated 6/08/07 ! :horrified:

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 09:00 PM
It may fix a few probs then once you update it

pct
24-09-2013, 09:06 PM
It may fix a few probs then once you update it

hope so...
downloaded and extracted it and it comes up with windows can't open this file...

w7ESAS.309
ANY ideas?

pct
24-09-2013, 09:08 PM
ahh nvm, see I need to download a program to install it with

pct
24-09-2013, 09:24 PM
downloaded, still no go...any ideas??

pct
24-09-2013, 09:41 PM
downloaded winflash,done it all good, thanks Speedy!!

pct
24-09-2013, 10:44 PM
sorry bit off topic but

is there any of these startup programs I can do without?? just so slow when its first going

Yes HKCU:Run Akamai NetSession Interface Akamai Technologies, Inc. "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Akamai\netsession_win .exe"
Yes HKCU:Run WindowsWelcomeCenter Microsoft Corporation rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrProlog.exe
Yes HKLM:Run ASUS Screen Saver Protector ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrPro.exe
Yes HKLM:Run ccApp Symantec Corporation "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run IAAnotif Intel Corporation "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run IFXSPMGT Infineon Technologies AG C:\Windows\system32\ifxspmgt.exe /NotifyLogon
Yes HKLM:Run IS CfgWiz Symantec Corporation "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\OPC\{31011D49-D90C-4da0-878B-78D28AD507AF}\cltUIStb.exe" /MODULE CfgWiz /GUID {BC8D3EAF-F864-4d4b-AB4D-B3D0C32E2840} /MODE CfgWiz /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
Yes HKLM:Run NvCplDaemon Microsoft Corporation RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Yes HKLM:Run osCheck Symantec Corporation "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run PowerForPhone C:\Program Files\PowerForPhone\PowerForPhone.exe
Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVCpl Realtek Semiconductor RtHDVCpl.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SMSERIAL Motorola Inc. C:\Program Files\Motorola\SMSERIAL\sm56hlpr.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SynTPEnh Synaptics, Inc. C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender Microsoft Corporation %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
Yes Startup Common MultiFrame.lnk ASUSTek Computer Inc. C:\Program Files\ASUS\Asus MultiFrame\MultiFrame.exe

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Sweet! Well you dont need Symantec IS lol.

Dont need this in startup,

Yes HKCU:Run WindowsWelcomeCenter Microsoft Corporation rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter

Yes HKLM:Run ASUS Screen Saver Protector ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrPro.exe

pct
25-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Sweet! Well you dont need Symantec IS lol.

Dont need this in startup,

Haha agreed about Symantec, got rid of that crap. MS Security Essentials ftw! lol

Do I need
HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrProlog.exe
?

box randomly comes up when it first starts up then goes away... doesn't sound important? lol

pct
25-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Haha agreed about Symantec, got rid of that crap. MS Security Essentials ftw! lol

Do I need
HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrProlog.exe
?

box randomly comes up when it first starts up then goes away... doesn't sound important? lol

this is what comes up when the computer first starts...

can I disable this from startup? HKLM:Run ASUS Camera ScreenSaver ASUSTeK Computer Inc. C:\Windows\ASScrProlog.exe

linw
25-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Yep, disable that. You can probably disable all the rest, as well, except for security AV prog.

If you disable one you shouldn't have, you can always re-enable it. Installers seem to have one rule - make it start at boot time regardless.