PDA

View Full Version : MS Security Essentials Problem

bk T
21-09-2013, 09:59 PM
MSSE broke my Win7 laptop into pieces this time. My laptop booted up OK but the WLAN is trying to connect to my wireless router but couldn't get connected. I couldn't do anything other than the mouse still 'movable. I forced shut down the machine and booted up in safe mode, trying to uninstall MSSE but Win7 won't allow me to do so.

Fortunately I have a system image created and re-imaged the laptop and uninstalled MSSE immediately before it updates. After un-installing MSSE, everything works as normal. I thought Microsoft has fixed the problem but this time it's a much 'bigger' problem!

Anyone of you here having similar problem with MSSE?

wainuitech
21-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Seen it happen a few times as well, I wont use the free AV's anymore on anyones PC's. They all seem to cause different sorts of problems at one time or another.

I recommend Nod32 - if they want a trial then fine, then its upto the owner what they want to do regarding buying it. Seen it happen many times, the trial runs out and they have had no problems. Remove the trial when its over and install some other free AV and usually with in 2-4 months they have some sort of problem again.

What happens is some AV vendors try to make their software better without proper testing, and most of the time it doesn't work, instead makes it unstable.

Classic example is AVG -- this week ( and its very regular per month) AVG corrupts, causes all sorts of problems from slowness to total boot failure - remove it and all works again. Got two in the workshop that exact problem.

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Nope MSSE hasnt caused that here. I doubt that it would block wireless. Unless something was / or is corrupt

bk T
22-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I tried a fresh clean install of Win7, installed all necessary drivers, etc., everything works perfectly untill the moment I installed MSSE and get it updated, restarted the machine, then the fun begins. I just couldn't do anything. It used to work OK with this laptop before. Couldn't believe it.

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Did you do a clean install, not use the image you created?? Must be something on the system that makes things freeze. Not just MSSE

bk T
22-09-2013, 12:21 PM
It's a clean install, formatted the C:\ with nothing but the drivers installed, no application programs, nothing.

Driftwood
22-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Did you have SP1 installed?

bk T
22-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Yup, the install DVD is the original HP Win7 SP1 came with the HP Probook.

It was working perfectly before untill the recent MSSE update.

Driftwood
22-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Maybe post a hijack this log.

dugimodo
22-09-2013, 06:53 PM
weird, I've used MSE & now defender which is the windows 8 version for years over several PCs (currently 4) and never had an issue.

bk T
22-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm going without any AV for the time being untill I decide to buy Nod32.

Driftwood
22-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Give the free trial a go.

CliveM
23-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Give the free trial a go.
+1. Nothing is not a good idea.