PDA

View Full Version : Laptop not finding my wifi..

bazmeister
20-09-2013, 01:28 PM
After not being used for a month or so, my laptop won't find my wireless, previously it managed this without a problem.

Other devices within my extended household are logging on as usual..i.e. another laptop, 3 phones and 2 Ipads.

On seeking out connections, it is finding 3 connections belonging to neighbors, but not mine. I have googled this
and spent some time on it but not having any luck...a system restore didn't help.

The lappy is an old Toshiba A80 which is otherwise working perfectly..it is used mainly for music and videos thru the TV
hence the need for WiFi. Connects to internet by cable OK. The modem is a wireless Dynalink RTA 1025W.

Any ideas would be appreciated...?

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Turn the modem off for 30 secs, then try again. Update the fw on it if its not up to date

20-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Might be something like the old lappy being wirelessB , modem being set to WirelessG or N
Easiest fix, buy a $30 USB wifi dongle.

or, install XP SP3(Im assuming here), update the wifi drivers, update the bios.
Also, try changing the modems wifi channel.

bazmeister
21-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Update the fw on it if its not up to date

Tried most of the advice without any luck. Can you clarify the above for me Speedy...?

Driftwood
21-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I thinks he's referring to the firmware on the modem.

Driftwood
21-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Just had a look on google re this.
A few similar issues there & some more suggested remedies.

bazmeister
21-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I think I've read most of them. The issue as I see it is that a number of other devices (see above) continue to receive the signal clearly. The laptop
used to but has suddenly stopped...from this I am assuming that the router/modem is functioning ok and that the problem must lie with the laptop which
is receiving signals but unfortunately not mine. I am loathe to fiddle with the router settings as I'm out of my depth and don't want to stuff what is working
well for the other 5 devices. This model laptop doesn't have an on/off wi-fi switch.

wainuitech
21-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Try going into the wireless network settings in the wireless adapter ( on laptop) - locate the connection that should be there (your network) delete it, reboot and re-scan see if it picks it back up.

The problem will be the laptop , no need to fiddle with the router. As described by your comment.

the problem must lie with the laptop which
is receiving signals but unfortunately not mine. I am loathe to fiddle with the router settings as I'm out of my depth and don't want to stuff what is working
well for the other 5 devices.

bazmeister
23-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Must have missed the suggestion from 1101 re changing the channel, I went back, saw it and tried it, happily it worked. Remembered I had changed the channel, on advice, to prevent the signal
dropping off, presumably by being too close/similar to a neighbour. All the other devices picked the new channel up but Laptop apparently didn't.

Thank to all for help and suggestions.