PDA

View Full Version : Will this laptop meet system requirements for ....

Misty
18-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi
I am advising a friend of mine who has inherited an 6-8 year old laptop Toshiba Satellite A70 Review (Windows XP) from his daughter.
Additional to the usual email etc, low level needs, he also wishes to use Photoshop Elements 11 (not in an extensive way - but when on the move).

Photoshop Elements 11 for Windows requires a minimum of

1.6GHz or faster processor (including single-core support)
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista®, Windows 7, or Windows 8
1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)
4GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
Colour monitor with 16-bit colour video card
1024x768 monitor resolution
Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible display driver
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Some of the items above are clear to us ... but

His Graphics card is AYI Radeon 9000 (up to 128mg shared)

Processor is Pentium 4 552 -3.46 Ghz with Hyperthreading 1MB L2 Cache (seems well over minimum ! :) )

He is concerned not too spend too much as his daughter advised that he may soon need a new battery and he
thinks what else could there be and that it may not "hold out" for much time. He of course, could use on mains power
even if the battery goes. He would buy a new battery presuming needed later, at $80 he thinks, if seen as reasonable course.

I have assured him that I believe additional RAM is relatively inexpensive and suggested he aim for 2 GB if the laptop
can cope with that. (He currently only has 512Mg).

Hopefully I have supplied enough info for one or more of you to give advice

Help please !
Misty :dogeye:

inphinity
18-09-2013, 05:27 PM
The Radeon 9000 is not DX9-compliant, so I suspect that may be an issue, given the requirements specify DX9 or 10. Also, you'd need more RAM (but it sounds like you've realised that).

pctek
18-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Photoshop Elements 11 for Windows requires a minimum of

1.6GHz or faster processor (including single-core support)
1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)

His Graphics card is AYI Radeon 9000 (up to 128mg shared)

Processor is Pentium 4 552 -3.46 Ghz with Hyperthreading 1MB L2 Cache (seems well over minimum ! :) )

Fine....my dad ran it on worse than that for a while.
GPU doesn't matter....

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I have assured him that I believe additional RAM is relatively inexpensive and suggested he aim for 2 GB if the laptop
can cope with that. (He currently only has 512Mg). Thats brave saying that :) What is relatively inexpensive ?

Depending on what it is, DDR, DDR2 Wont be DDR3 its to old.

You cant go by the pricing of current DDR3 memory for an old system.

ChazTheGeek
18-09-2013, 06:41 PM
The laptop uses the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP chipset which supports 4GB of DDR RAM. The laptop itself can only support 1.25 GB of RAM though.
DDR RAM is quite cheap these days.

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 07:19 PM
The laptop uses the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP chipset which supports 4GB of DDR RAM. The laptop itself can only support 1.25 GB of RAM though.
DDR RAM is quite cheap these days. REALLY :horrified -- its OLD RAM and hardly any shops have it since its been out of production for several years now.

Dont be confused with DDR2 & DDR3 RAM. DDR Memory is more expensive for the amount you get compared to DDR2 & DDR3.

ChazTheGeek
18-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Ebay have actual businesses that sell the stuff. Might be a risk you have to take.
Trade Me sellers have some 'New' listings for DDR RAM.

I think if you manage to find DDR RAM from a traditional shop you will have to pay a high price.
And yes, newer RAM has better value for money.

Check this out: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/memory-ram/1-gb-or-more/auction-638029940.htm
Not really sure what the maximum module size is for this laptop mind you.

Nomad
18-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Photoshop Elements? What sort of files?

I have a old near 5yr old (sig) which appears faster than yours, but now I have upgraded to a 24MP camera with RAW files, it does take a while to open the image up. Like 20 seconds. I am using Lightroom Photoshop. Totally do-able if you are not rushed.

Misty
19-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Photoshop Elements? What sort of files?

I have a old near 5yr old (sig) which appears faster than yours, but now I have upgraded to a 24MP camera with RAW files, it does take a while to open the image up. Like 20 seconds. I am using Lightroom Photoshop. Totally do-able if you are not rushed.

Hi Nomad
Will have to digest all of the marvellous answers sometime today. However, in the meantime some, or most, of the images he will be processing will be RAW. I don't think he will be using layers much, if at all, just cropping and adjusting the lighting etc using Expert mode. Do you think he might be able to get away with 1/2Mg RAM , perhaps?? (system requirements is 1 full Mg).
Misty

wainuitech
19-09-2013, 11:52 AM
2 GB would be better ( if its XP), if its only capable of taking less it may struggle a bit. Just dont go expecting to much performance. You have to remember the laptop will be using a certain amount of Memory just running its normal programs, Windows, and what ever else is going in the background. The more memory /power you have the better.

Any other OS, I wouldn't bother -- ever seen Vista or W7 on 2gb of memory :sleep:sleep

Whenu
19-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I've got that WT, seems to go ok. Also have a spare chip of ram if the op wants to buy it.

wainuitech
19-09-2013, 10:43 PM
I've got that WT, seems to go ok. Also have a spare chip of ram if the op wants to buy it.
5195 Has that got the W7 starter edition ?

Seen laptops with those specs running home Pre and are totally slow. The starter edition is a cut down version that doesn't have all the bells and whistles ( aero) which is a system hog on low spec computers, usually combined with a load of rubbish hogging programs as well.

Whenu
19-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Pro, haven't tried W7 on any other machines so can't compare.

inphinity
20-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Wow, I would not have the patience to use something like that... lol.

Whenu
20-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Better than when Vista was on it.