PDA

View Full Version : Excel help

DeSade
18-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Can someone tell me if this is possible and how to do it please.

I have a cell on a excel sheet that I need to attach a word document to with advanced instructions.
I want the document to become part of the sheet so if I emailed this file it will be one xlsx file but will have this word doc embedded and available to be viewed
Can I do this and how?

To tidy up the sheet I do not want the embedded document to be seen. I would like a button on the cell that when clicked on will open the embedded instruction doc.
Again, can I do this and how?

CliveM
18-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I take it that the word doc is to large to just include the instructions as a note in the cell?

DeSade
18-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I take it that the word doc is to large to just include the instructions as a note in the cell?

Too large and too complicated. The word docs will probably have VSD component embedded into them as well

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 03:28 PM
See if this works -- Worked OK in Office 2010, when clicking the Icon, word opens to display the document. ( file was created and sent to another PC)

In Excel, click where you want the file/link, from the ribbon / bar

Inset ---> Object -------> Create From File (Tab) ------> Check the box called "Display as Icon" ------> Browse for your file and hit OK

DeSade
18-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Ok that works :)
But it still looks horrible,
Any thoughts to my other question to tidy it up?

DeSade
19-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Ok the only way to do what I want is with a Macro but its still not working right.

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
Sheets("Instruction Files").Select
ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Object 1")).Select
Selection.Verb Verb:=xlPrimary
Sheets("Oneclick or CSP Requests").Select
End Sub

This does what I want but it has some flaws.
First, it needs to switch to the Instruction Files sheet then run the command to open the PDF then switch back to the Oneclick or CSP Requests sheet.
This only works if the Instruction Files sheet is visible and I want to hide it.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the code please?