PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2013 Trial version

swazi
17-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to download a trial version of Outlook 2013 only? Microsoft seem to only bundle the trial version in with either Office 365 or the full Office 2013 suite.

I have Office 2010 but find Outlook to be terrible with gmail IMAP and want to try 2013 to make sure it works before upgrading. I've tried a number of smaller email clients which whilst they all handle IMAP well, I find I can't be without the full featured Outlook offering.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2013, 04:32 PM
What version of windows is installed? Office 2013 only works on Win7 and 8. Not XP or Vista. There's a 60 day trial of Office 2013 here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj192782.aspx)

swazi
17-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I am using Win7 thanks Speedy.

I am assuming there aren't the issues with Outlook 2013 hanging and going slow with IMAP like there is with 2010? Probably it is safe to just go and buy the software.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Pass. I havent tried IMAP in OL 2013 yet.

swazi
17-09-2013, 04:42 PM
yeah, hence why I was hoping to trial it.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2013, 04:43 PM
The link to the trial is in post #2. Click on it

swazi
17-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Sorry Speedy, I missed the link when I read your message but I actually tried that already. Unfortunately you can only download the full Office Suite which I am hoping to avoid as the rest of the office is using 2010 (and a lot of our clients even older versions) and it creates compatibility issues with all our files. I tried the advanced installation hoping it would let me choose which programs it would install (which it didn't) so I installed the whole thing hoping I would be able to continue with the 2010 versions of the other programs as the defaults for opening files (but I couldn't easily work out how to do this).

In the couple of hours I did have it installed however Outlook 2013 seemed to work ok so I think I am stuck with just purchasing it unless someone know another link to download Outlook only?

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2013, 05:57 PM
You cant download OL by itself. Its part of Office, and always has been. Unless you do a custom install with the file you downloaded

swazi
17-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Ok, good to know. Given you can purchase Outlook by itself I assumed you would be able to trial it by itself.

Thanks for all your help Speedy.

Cheers

wainuitech
17-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Dont think theres any Trial of Outlook 2013 only. Even looked at Technet, but it only has Outlook 2010. BUT you can buy Outlook 2013 on its own, around $200 NZ.

I tried the advanced installation hoping it would let me choose which programs it would install (which it didn't) You should be able to, have to have a look see.

It also depends on what you installed, was it Office 2013 or Office 365.

Ok just looked, yes you can select what gets installed, 1st window you agree to the Terms etc, second window customize Button, click the programs drop down box you dont want,

select not available.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Dont think you can purchase it by itself. But you can do a custom install untick everything else but OL

swazi
17-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Dont think theres any Trial of Outlook 2013 only. Even looked at Technet, but it only has Outlook 2010. BUT you can buy Outlook 2013 on its own, around $200 NZ.

You should be able to, have to have a look see.

It also depends on what you installed, was it Office 2013 or Office 365.

Ok just looked, yes you can select what gets installed, 1st window you agree to the Terms etc, second window customize Button, click the programs drop down box you dont want,

select not available.

Thanks Wanuitech, that is exactly what I looking for. I had a good look at that screen the 1st time I installed it but didn't realise selecting 'Not Available' mean't 'Do not install...'

Unfortunately now that I have reinstalled it, this time I forgot to select the option to not uninstall all previous versions of Office so now I have lost Office 2010. Arrrggh!!!

Dont think you can purchase it by itself. But you can do a custom install untick everything else but OL

Yep, you can purchase Outlook only for $149 at PB Tech.

Thanks again for your help guys.

wainuitech
17-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Just a bit of info ( in case you dont know) Normally the first thin I do is change the default :yuck: white theme MS chose, its hard on the eyes. Dont know what they were thinking but its as if someone who made decisions is colour blind :illogical

To do this, open anything, (Example Word) from File> options> under the General Tab, change from White to either light or Dark Grey.

pcuser42
17-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I actually don't mind the default colour...

paulw
18-09-2013, 08:29 AM
One thing to be careful of . The trial keycode is tied to the download so if you try to install it on a second PC it will fail to activate and unless you reformat your hard disk and do a new download. You can't download another copy and install it on the original windows install.

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 08:42 AM
You can actually get 6 months (180 days) out of a 30 day trial, its called rearming. how-to-extend-your-office-2013365-trial-to-180-days/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/148347/how-to-extend-your-office-2013365-trial-to-180-days/)

wratterus
18-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I never had any issues with Outlook 2010 'hanging' with IMAP - IMAP is slow in general due to the nature of it. Certainly found Outlook better than Live Mail with IMAP.

swazi
18-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Guys, I have really messed up here.

My original purchase of Office (for which I still have the discs etc) was Small Business 2007 which came with a free upgrade to Office Professional 2010 under Microsoft's upgrade program.

Now I have gone and unintentionally uninstalled 2010 and don't have the 2010 Product Key handy. I think I have probably got 3 options:

1) Can I reinstall 2007 and then still get it to upgrade somehow? I don't think so as any links I google about the 2007 to 2010 upgrade program are no longer working.
2) I do have a full backup of my computer on an external hard drive. Can I somehow get the 2010 Product Key off that?
3) I also have a vague recollection of having a Microsoft or Outlook account online which provided download links to my registered Microsoft products. However I can't find this anywhere.

Any suggestions or advice? (Wish I had just stuck with using Postbox for my email...)

Thanks

wratterus
18-09-2013, 10:11 AM
You're out of luck without the key sorry.

swazi
18-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Don't worry, I have found the key stored on an old Yahoo email I haven't used in a couple of years. Phew...

Would still be interested to know if I could have gotten it off my backup though?

wratterus
18-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Lucky! Probably not - there are programs out there to recovery keys, but the majority struggle with windows 7.

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Your best option since you asked, if you couldn't have gotten it, would have been option 2 in your list.

As long as it was a complete backup / Image, simply dump it onto another HDD, fire it up and then run a key recovery program to recover the office key.

wratterus is correct, a lot of key finders struggle these days, Windows 8 is even worse, MANY display the default install key W8 uses NOT the actual real product key. keyfinder used to be good but even that fails on W8 now.

What DOES work is Licence Crawler Download From their site (http://www.klinzmann.name/licensecrawler.htm) That will show all the keys & with Windows 8 it will show the real key, default Install Key ( second key), Office, everything.

wratterus
18-09-2013, 12:41 PM
What DOES work is Licence Crawler Download From their site (http://www.klinzmann.name/licensecrawler.htm) That will show all the keys & with Windows 8 it will show the real key, default Install Key ( second key), Office, everything.

Nice, will check that out.

paulw
18-09-2013, 02:11 PM
You can actually get 6 months (180 days) out of a 30 day trial, its called rearming. how-to-extend-your-office-2013365-trial-to-180-days/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/148347/how-to-extend-your-office-2013365-trial-to-180-days/)

That doesn't appear to work with the 64bit version of Office 2013

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 03:12 PM
That doesn't appear to work with the 64bit version of Office 2013 You should be able to, as long as you rearm it before the trial expires, if its already expired you're SOL.

paulw
18-09-2013, 03:52 PM
You should be able to, as long as you rearm it before the trial expires, if its already expired you're SOL.

I downloaded a new 32 bit version of Office 2013 trial. Copied in the new key code and bag it stopped with a "Sorry we ran into a problem while trying to install the product key.... blah blah (systerm Error 0x80070643. The problem is that there are no files in the OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform directory for Office 2013..

wainuitech
18-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I downloaded a new 32 bit version of Office 2013 trial. Copied in the new key code and bag it stopped with a "Sorry we ran into a problem while trying to install the product key.... blah blah (systerm Error 0x80070643. The problem is that there are no files in the OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform directory for Office 2013..

Sounds like there was a install problem. Re the files, Looks like that first post was incorrect, it was a while back I rearmed Office, but its not in the folder they stated, its actually in:

Go to the following folder:
32-bit Office installation = C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 15
64-bit Office installation = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 15

The file you want is ospprearm

paulw
19-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanx Wainui. Found the files and ran it. Now it says it will work until September 23. Not exactly the 30 days. Will retry it then again..

swazi
19-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I finally got everything back in order yesterday. Outlook 2013 is everything I was hoping (aside from the theme which will take some getting used to - it seems to lack depth or contrast or something). Anyway, performance wise it is great and I will definitely make the upgrade. A big improvement on 2010.

One thing though, all the Proofing options under 'When correcting spelling in Outlook' such as 'Check spelling as you type' and 'Mark grammar errors as you type' etc etc are greyed out. Do you think this is either because I am using the trial version, didn't install it correctly or because I am not using the full Office suite? Presumably if I purchase the standalone Outlook 2013 I will have these options?

Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and upgrade everything to 2013 (in which case I am probably better going to Office 365 and therefore may as well upgrade everyone in the office which I was hoping to avoid...).

wainuitech
19-09-2013, 12:43 PM
In the past editions, the Spell check was linked to Word. If you have one version of Word and another version of Outlook, outlook's Spell check wouldn't work.

You can try whats suggested on why-outlook-spelling-check-and-autocorrect-options-are-greyed-out-and-how-to-fix-it/ (http://www.nextofwindows.com/why-outlook-spelling-check-and-autocorrect-options-are-greyed-out-and-how-to-fix-it/) Dont know if it will work or not.

About Office 365 - its cheaper if you have a office full of users, the pricing / Users amounts are listed here: compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx (http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx) Unless you get a Volume Licence. Other wise you have to buy separate packages for everyone = BIG $$$$

paulw
19-09-2013, 12:50 PM
The one main thing that would stop me from going with Office 2013 is the Outlook "To do List" It only shows the current day not the full week like previous versions. This was brought up at the beta stage but as we all know M$ knows best..

swazi
19-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks heaps Wainuitech, that worked great.

Yes it does add up very quick. At risk of abusing your generosity and not trying to help myself here, can you explain what the following means from the small print for the cheapest plan with no desktop versions:

"Plans that do not include the desktop version of Office (Exchange Online Plan 1, Office 365 Small Business, and Office 365 Enterprise E1) work with the latest version of Office, Office 2010, Office 2007 (with slightly limited functionality), Office 2011 for Mac, and Office 2008 for Mac." ?

Is it simply just the Google Apps equivalent where Microsoft are hosting your email etc? It seems to me that everything else on offer with the cheap plan is free anyway and you would still be using your old Office software anyway?

wainuitech
19-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Good question.

To be honest I've never dealt with the lowest priced version. I do know that the other versions install the complete program on the PC, so you can work on what ever it is then when going on line it syncs with the online version. Much the same way the home user ( 5 User) does.http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/home-premium/

Looking at whats written, it looks like your description may be pretty much correct, with the exception if you have an earlier version of Outlook installed it semi works.

#3 in the small print:
Users can connect the following versions of Outlook to their hosted email, so they can use the rich client application they already know: the latest version of Outlook, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007 (with slightly limited functionality), Outlook 2011 for Mac, and Outlook 2008 for Mac.