PDA

View Full Version : ISP scam

sarum
16-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi, I live alone and have NO phone - no land line nor hand held thing.
You have no idea how hard it is to convince people of this.
I have no land line conection to my house.

I connect to the 'net wirelessly via my daughter's ISP who lives near-by. So, I make few(very few 'phone calls) and being nearly 80 I down load 1GB per month; I exagerate, but for that I'm prepared to pay.

I now must have a land line 'phone as I need a Saint John's ambulance alarm.

Cost of land line to my house isn't the issue, what is, WHY can I not buy what I want/need?.
Has anyone any ideas; and perhaps any comments on the legallity of this.
Cheers...........sarum

dugimodo
17-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm sure you can, have you spoken to telecom regarding getting your own land line?
They do this kind of thing often enough and I'm sure they can help you.

pctek
17-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi, I live alone and have NO phone - no land line nor hand held thing.
You have no idea how hard it is to convince people of this.
I have no land line conection to my house.

I connect to the 'net wirelessly via my daughter's ISP who lives near-by. So, I make few(very few 'phone calls) and being nearly 80 I down load 1GB per month; I exagerate, but for that I'm prepared to pay.

I now must have a land line 'phone as I need a Saint John's ambulance alarm.

Cost of land line to my house isn't the issue, what is, WHY can I not buy what I want/need?.

You posted this before....we advised you then.

You can get your own landline.....you don't need to use it for internet, you can carry on as you have been for the net and just have the landline used for the alarm. It will, of course, cost you a monthly fee....but only the basic one.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah ~$45 for a land line through Telecom. Just ring them. Problem solved.

sarum
21-09-2013, 08:22 PM
My apologies for asking the same question twice. You are both right, telecom is to connect me; for which I'm to pay loads (I'm some distance from the road). I then pay I think $55 monthly plus $20 for broad band.
$5 a week for internet is good going; I think.
Thanks for your tolerance and help..................sarum

FoxyMX
21-09-2013, 09:32 PM
My Dad has a St John alarm and is on a per-call phone plan with Telecom but he pays a lot less than $55 per month. I think it might be around $40 per month. He is also on Actrix's one cent per minute dial up plan as per here (http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=120) which is very inexpensive and fine for emails but pretty hopeless for internet browsing.

Come to think of it, since you already use your daughter's internet wirelessly why do you have to pay $20 per month for broadband? Is that your contribution to her? If so, then that is pretty steep for just 1GB. Even $10 per month is generous. :illogical

Terry Porritt
21-09-2013, 10:45 PM
It sounds to me as though the Telecom salesman is trying to pressure you into having more than you need. Insist that you just need a land line and phone number for an alarm, no broadband or other bells or whistles.

If you then find you do want broadband you can sign up later.

As I'm not that far short of 80 also, I find I have a struggle to remain within the 30GB Orcon plan :)

FoxyMX
21-09-2013, 11:16 PM
It sounds to me as though the Telecom salesman is trying to pressure you into having more than you need.

That won't be the first time. A lady at my dad's computer class is paying $100 per month for phone and broadband just to send emails to her family around the world. She had no idea what she was getting into when she signed up, other than she was locked into it for a year or two. Obviously the IPSs don't check with people what sort of internet use they will be doing when they join, or they try and sell the most expensive plan they think they can get away with to people who haven't got a clue.

pctek
22-09-2013, 08:26 AM
. You are both right, telecom is to connect me; for which I'm to pay loads (I'm some distance from the road). I then pay I think $55 monthly plus $20 for broad band.

Home phone plans
$46 per month
Home Phone & Everyday Local calling

Don't know where $55 comes from...and you don't need the broadband....you can continue to use your daughters as you have been. Ring Telecom back, tell them you want landline ONLY, no extras, no broadband, basic plan.

sarum
24-09-2013, 10:58 PM
pctek thanks for your reply; the problem is the connection with my daughter's modem.
It often needs resetting (off/on). I'm suspect #1 as I'm Linux only, though as Chilling's lead points out modems are good and not-so-good.
I suppose, whatever the cost, I must have contact with Saint J. - just in case.

Google Freedompop; it'll happen here one day
cheers.....................sarum

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Just replace the router, it's a once-off cost, it'll most likely solve that issue. It's the fastest / easiest / most common issue to rule out too so it's a good place to start :) OS shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Try something like the Asus DSL-N12U.