PDA

View Full Version : Visio messing up character spacing in linked Excel worksheet

Spartacus
16-09-2013, 06:27 PM
So this has been bugging me for a while now... I'm using Visio 2007 and have inserted a table from an Excel worksheet (.xlsm but it seems to do the same with .xlsx). The table data gets displayed but the font is too hard to read because the kerning (character spacing) has been reduced so the letters start to overlap. I can change the typeface and size in the worksheet and the changes are reflected in the Visio doc, but the character spacing (in any typeface) always makes it pretty unreadable even though it's perfectly fine in the worksheet itself.

Is there any way to change how the linked text is displayed? Stretching the width of the worksheet shape (in Visio) doesn't really help - it goes from confusing to confusing-and-distorted... Hopefully this sample screenshot gets attached properly - the visio table is on the left and the data source in Excel is on the right.

Any ideas?

wainuitech
16-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Have you inserted the spreadsheet as per the following Video connect-data-to-your-visio-diagram (http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/visio-help/demo-show-it-like-it-is-connect-data-to-your-visio-diagram-HA010051819.aspx) You will need to view the link in IE if you want to watch it needs WMP ( or you can download) the video.

Spartacus
17-09-2013, 02:53 PM
WT, no - it's simpler than that. I'm not wanting to link data into shapes, just copy a table onto a drawing sheet. I keep this particular data in excel (it's a mass of various tables), but need to present selected sections of it formally in different contexts with a title block and Visio flow-chart additions. Hence the import into Visio.
The process I've used is the following (and I've started from scratch here just in case it's a problem with settings/conflicts in the existing file):

1. Create new excel file with text in some cells (set to Arial 10 or leave at default Calibri 11; doesn't seem to matter).
2. Create new Visio doc
3. In Visio, Insert -> Object -> Create from file (browse to and select the saved excel file)

The text comes in but is poorly spaced straight away.

Both programs from the 2007 Office suite. See below for input, output and program version info.

I'd appreciate if there's anyone with the same version software that can do the same and compare results...

wainuitech
17-09-2013, 03:25 PM
This wont be of much help, I tried it in Visio 2010 & Excel 2010 (dont have 2007) and it worked perfectly as you listed (Insert -> Object -> Create from file (browse to and select the saved excel file)

Spartacus
17-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I've just tried on a different system myself, same software versions, and it works fine. So that rules out any generic problem with Visio or the way I'm doing it and I guess it narrows down to something wrong with the particular installation... which happens to be on a server (2003 R2). Our weekly IT admin service visit is tomorrow so I'll get the tech to have a play with it and see what comes up...