PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Digital Power Saving Mode and weird boot up issue

Gedc
15-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Hey guys. Hoping somebody can point me at the cause prior to me dropping the box on its side from a great height :)

Home built PC about 4.5 years old. Kids machine used for gaming and homework. Running Win 7. It's has an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard, Intel Core 2 Due E8400 and 4GB Ram. Usual HDD and optical drive and decent GFX card as well.
All running fine until about 3 weeks ago when I heard the fans in it powering along at full pelt late at night-it sounded like a turbo prop trying to take off. Was about to chew the kids out when I realised they HAD shut it down earlier using normal routine but screen said Digital Power Saving Mode. Had to power it down by keeping power button pressed in for 5 secs as couldn't access screen or keyboard etc.

Everything working okay until today when they powered it on from cold and Digital Power Saving Mode appears on the LG monitor and the monitor powers back down to standby.

So far have tried the following...

Swapped out the gfx card for a basic one I had lying around - same issue
Different digital cable...When I pull it out the monitor says " Please connect cable" so its getting some type of signal.
An analog cable...Now says " Analog Power Saving Mode"
Different monitor - Same issues. Its a Viewsonic instead of an LG but says " No Signal" instead of digital power saving etc

Need to shut it down by holding power button given I can't access screen etc.

Have also noticed when I press the power button on the front to boot it up - and it's NEVER done this before...everything starts up for about 2 seconds, blue power light on front of case lights up, fans start to spin up, HDD cranks out a bit of a noise ? and then the blue front light goes out, fans slow down and it slowly dies for about 2 seconds then blue light on front flicks back on and it kicks back into life and seems to run continuously after that. However, still got the issue getting a signal to the monitor.

I'm guessing at a rough push that it may be power supply related. The only other things I can think of is CMOS battery ?, motherboard or HDD is goosed ?

Thanks for any tips or advice. Appreciate remote fixing isn't the easiest.

Ged

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 05:45 PM
You can try replacing the CMOS battery it is removable and can be replaced. Is it keeping the time??Or do you have to set it all the time?

wainuitech
15-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Could possibly be a Power Supply starting to fail.

Gedc
15-09-2013, 07:27 PM
You can try replacing the CMOS battery it is removable and can be replaced. Is it keeping the time??Or do you have to set it all the time?

Hi Speedy. No idea re the time as its kids PC and they didn't note anything..however that wouldn't stand for much :)

Gedc
17-09-2013, 11:46 PM
So..Have tested power supply voltages using one of the handheld plugin load testers. All good apart from the -5v rail and then I realised it is defunct and actually has no pin. All PSU cables passed fine.

Pulled Ram and tried to boot from one stick. Same issue. No signal.

Disconnected everything short of HDD and vid card. No signal.

That leaves the MB or the Processor if I am correct ?? It still has the very wierd power on where it fires up, spins down, goes dead, then fires up again ??? Presuming that's something to do with it.

Ged

Agent_24
18-09-2013, 12:13 AM
So..Have tested power supply voltages using one of the handheld plugin load testers. All good apart from the -5v rail and then I realised it is defunct and actually has no pin. All PSU cables passed fine.

Those little testers are not the be-all and end-all of PSU testing, they don't load the supply enough for a start.

Better to try a different PSU if you have one spare or can borrow one