PDA

View Full Version : External HDD

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 01:21 PM
About 4 Months and 2 days ago my laptop had passed away...
We had found the that controller for the hard-drive is broken so i thought to my self...
Can i install windows onto an external hdd? If i can can you help me? If i can't can you help me be able to use this laptop with something else (like ubuntu)

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 01:25 PM
You can replace the mobo if you know how. Places like Ebay may sell them cheap. Whats the brand/model of the laptop?

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 01:27 PM
You've helped me in the past Speedy (with that no ip issue) anyway the Compaq Presario CQ62-360TX.

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Look on the bottom whats the product name / the part # or the serial #. Send it in a PM if you want. I'll see what the HP site brings up for parts for this laptop

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 02:09 PM
K, but reply in this thread

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 02:29 PM
What I said in PM

Umm how is it connected to the laptop?? USB? Only way you may get Win7 on that is with a USB flash drive. If it supports booting from USB in the BIOS. If you've got the Win7 cd, chuck it in something with a hdd and a cd /dvd burner Then create a folder on the hdd and copy the contents of the cd to the folder. Then you'll need something that can create ISO's. Then you can try something like this rufus. This program can create bootable usb flash drives from ISO's. Obviously the BIOS would have to see the external hdd so you can put something on it. Does it see it?

I'm just checking out the serial # to see what p/n the mobo is. Or whatever they call it with the hdd connector. Do you have the Win7 cd??

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Is this the bit that's broken?? (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=595200-001&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X&_nkw=595201-001+&_sacat=0) The SATA connector??

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 02:44 PM
We brought another connector but it still wouldn't pick any of the two good hdd's up

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 03:21 PM
The dvd is fine BTW

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Umm if you tried different sata hdd's were they sata 1 2, or 3?? And what does this laptop support? One reason the BIOS cant see it, is if the computer / laptop supports SATA 1. And the hdd you're trying is SATA 2. It wont detect it unless you switch it to SATA 150 on the hdd. If there's a switch on it

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 03:49 PM
If you want to try and see if Win7 will install on the external, change the bootdisk in the BIOS to cd. Put the dvd in. Save settings.Reboot, press a key when it tells you to then wait for the Win7 setup to come up

Oranebeast
15-09-2013, 04:16 PM
They were both the same sata type (although i don't know what it is) and my hdd can't be incompatible as it was the factor hdd and there is no switch

wainuitech
15-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Doesn't matter what you do with the BIOS, by default a Windows 7 install WONT boot from a USB drive. Microsoft designed it that way. And theres some forums that say its in the licence agreement you are not allowed.

(sidetracking) Windows 8 Enterprise has a Boot To go feature which will.

Back on topic - you can get it to boot though ;) go to here (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk-15.html) Post 142 is a link, run that on the system you want to boot from, it does have the option to select a different drive as well, then put the HDD into a external case, plug in the USB and it boots, just tried it on a desktop PC and it worked nicely, somewhat slow as its USB, but still worked.

Just a warning about the link, some antivirus Software will say its a infection, its not the actual exe its the crap advertising on their site.

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2013, 06:32 PM
It maybe the mobo thats stuffed, or it maybe the hdd's you replaced it with. Altho it maybe a BIOS prob too depending on what the current BIOS supports. And the sizes of the hdd's you tried to connect to the SATA connector (thats if the mobo / port SATA connector isnt stuffed)

wainuitech
15-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Yo Speedy, did you read the posts above :
my hdd can't be incompatible as it was the factor hdd and there is no switch Its the original HDD.

AND W7 cant boot by default from USB, its designed that way. Post above I linked a possible fix, worked here on a desktop PC. PS: it was W7 Home Pre I "played with"