PDA

View Full Version : How to block web tracking to stop them following you!

FoxyMX
13-09-2013, 09:22 PM
When you’re on the Internet, there are good reasons to have that eerie sense of being followed.

By now, most of us know that websites can gather a surprising amount of information about your computer. For example, the page request you send to a site’s server includes detailed information about your browser — not just which browser you’re using, but the exact version, its configuration, and even the screen resolution the browser is running in. Other gathered data includes the page you came from, what document you’re requesting, and — yes, your IP address.

Good intelligence analysts might be able to figure out who’s behind a computer by analyzing online activities, but for most users, the real danger comes from joining social-networking sites such as Facebook or Google+. By their nature, social sites encourage you to feed them lots of personal information — including your name and address. The social site, and any organizations with which it shares data, can connect the dots back to a specific individual — as opposed to a specific computer. (And we can assume government agencies are doing the same.)

If you want to know how to block web tracking see these pages for information:

How to block web tracking (https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/youre-being-followed-how-to-block-web-tracking/)

For Opera users (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=330182)

Add-ons that help browsers block web trackers (https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/add-ons-that-help-browsers-block-web-trackers/)

Zombie cookies - regular cookies that come back from the dead! (https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/eliminate-flash-spawned-zombie-cookies/)

Ofthesea
13-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Actually I'm quite relaxed about web tracking, no plans to blow anybody up as yet. I have two step verification on my gmail and security on my bank accounts but thats all, why the concern? Chill out

pctek
14-09-2013, 08:16 AM
most of us know that websites can gather a surprising amount of information about your computer. For example, the page request you send to a site’s server includes detailed information about your browser — not just which browser you’re using, but the exact version, its configuration, and even the screen resolution the browser is running in. Other gathered data includes the page you came from, what document you’re requesting, and — yes, your IP address.

And?
I should care they know what browser I use?
Or resolution?
Or my IP?

FoxyMX
14-09-2013, 10:20 AM
And?
I should care they know what browser I use?
Or resolution?
Or my IP?

There is no cause for alarm regarding websites gathering that kind of information, of course. I put that up as an example of the (benign) information that is normally gathered by websites as there are people who do not know this.

My concern is the extent to which cookies and trackers are going to these days. The trackers don't just get the above information now, they can, from the information gathered over time, personally identify you, right down to who you are and where you live. I don't like that. And I certainly don't like these "zombie cookies" reincarnating themselves after I have chosen to delete cookies and my internet cache from my computer. I would be rather surprised that you don't see it an issue given that you are so meticulous about using anti-virus and anti-spyware programs to keep your computer as YOU want it.

It is probably a waste of time for all the people on Facebook and other social media sites to block cookies and trackers as they have already handed over all their personal information but for those who would rather keep these things off their machines then they can use the information I posted above to learn how.

Interestingly, my Windows borked itself a couple of nights ago, for the first time ever, resulting in me having to do a repair install. The following night we got a phone call from one of those "Windows repair tech" scammers. Even though I think I killed Windows myself I am still wondering whether the phone call was a total coincidence.

Neil McC
14-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Well I'll say thanks anyhow!
Using Do Not Track Me for Firefox and Chrome.

pctek
15-09-2013, 08:19 AM
The trackers don't just get the above information now, they can, from the information gathered over time, personally identify you, right down to who you are and where you live. I don't like that. And I certainly don't like these "zombie cookies" reincarnating themselves after I have chosen to delete cookies and my internet cache from my computer. I would be rather surprised that you don't see it an issue given that you are so meticulous about using anti-virus and anti-spyware programs to keep your computer as YOU want it.

Interestingly, my Windows borked itself a couple of nights ago, for the first time ever, resulting in me having to do a repair install. The following night we got a phone call from one of those "Windows repair tech" scammers. Even though I think I killed Windows myself I am still wondering whether the phone call was a total coincidence.

As I don't have stored cookies, I clear the PC regularly and so on, I still don't care.
Cookies and spyware are hardly the same thing.....spyware has a nasty tendency to stuff up the PC.

And yes....your call was a total coincidence....careful - getting a bit close to paranoia there....

Greg
15-09-2013, 09:17 PM
When you’re on the Internet, there are good reasons to have that eerie sense of being followed.Thx Foxy... it's always good to have a reminder and a bit of a wake-up for our forums' newbies.