PDA

View Full Version : Firewire issue

Nomad
13-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi, I have a older film scanner not sure if it is playing up (again) it does work if you give it a rest. But this time lights up and sounds when the Firewire cable is removed. Under system properties no issues re: the firewire device.

Then, I plugged my flatbed scanner into the firewire port and nothing comes up either under Printers and Devices. But when I plug in the USB cable (it supports both) the scanner pops up and works .. via the software ..... Is the firewire card busted on the motherboard? I am going to install good old XP on a spare HD and check it really out .... so it's not a setup issue.

Nomad
13-09-2013, 06:11 PM
After putting on XP on s spare HD. The scanner that has no probs will only get detected upon a reboot - this is Firewire. If you start it up pull the cable and replug it, it won't work until a reboot is done. Then thinking the FW card (motherboard) was fine, I booted up Windows 7, it doesn't get detected at all even after rebooting. But if I plug in the USB cable it springs back to life.

Ideas :confused: FW card? Usually it should hot swap right?

I do have the original shorter cable - could try that to nail that out ...

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2013, 07:16 PM
So is the FW onboard or is it a firewire PCI card? I had a similar prob with the other PC here (ASUS P5Q SE2 mobo). It uses Via sound drivers. The firewire (PCI card) also installed VIA drivers. For some strange reason the 2 drivers conflicted. FW was dead as.

I had to uninstall the VIA drivers I installed. And had to use Win7's built in VIA sound drivers to fix it

Nomad
16-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Speedy - the FW device is on my ASUS P5Q motherboard.

I don't have a PCI card. i can try to update drivers with the P5Q site if it is available for Win7 .... I got it in 2009. The manufacturer under devicde manager is LSI and running on Windows drivers.

No FW drivers for Win7 x64.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q/#support_Download_30

Nomad
17-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I thought of trying the front FW port on the PC case last night lying on my bed .... and it works :D It immediately hot swaps too. Now for the film scanner which is maybe a bit buggy after on for 30mins but last time it seemed fine for longer than that, touch wood ..