PDA

View Full Version : Realtek audio card suddenly stopped working.

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I got a bit of a problem.
So yesterday out of the blue my realtek hd audio card just stopped working. No warning, no power cuts, no unexpected shutdowns no BsODS nothing just silence.
It was working perfectly until it just suddenly cut out.
My pc is just about one year old now so this is really annoying.
I have tried both windows 7 and windows 8.1 and same result.
I have also tried looking at the bios settings, changing cables, trying different ports, reboot after reboot and still the same result.
I have found a temp workaround though which involves using the splashtop remote desktop software on my ipad to stream the audio from my pc. The audio still renders on my pc but it doesn't output.
Some ports cause a buzzing sound in my headphones whereas others just do nothing.
I'm at the end of my teather!! Is their anything to do to help fix this?!?

Also my pc specs are:
Realtek HD audio with AC97
Windows 7 and 8.1 preview
4 Gb ram
500 gb hdd
128 mb graphics card.

Any ideas on what this might be? I am a bit of a computer whizz but this is getting stupid now.

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Does it say its working in device manager?? It's not on mute is it?

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes, its working in device manager. Its not muted either. I tried disabling and enabling it as well. No luck. It says its working proparly but it isn't

pctek
10-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I presume you mean the onboard sound?
Just put a sound card in.....

dugimodo
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Is it set as the default sound device and/or have you plugged in any USB headphones or similar recently? they tend to automatically take over.

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I presume you mean the onboard sound?
Just put a sound card in.....
I would plug a sound card in. Thing is when my parents were cleaning out my room (I had a ton of hardware in my wardrobe which I kept for if they were needed) we threw the card out. Either that or I lost it. URGH.

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Is it set as the default sound device and/or have you plugged in any USB headphones or similar recently? they tend to automatically take over.

Yes it is the default device. I only have analog headphones

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Still, it maybe something to do with the plugs on the computer because the sound card still renders audio and using a method which involved remote desktop software on my ipad, still plays audio as well.

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
And what plug / input are you plugging whatever into on the soundcard?

tuxdude143
10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Im plugging headphones into the front audio port. I've tried all plugs as well though. Still nothing

Driftwood
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
What motherboard is it?

bk T
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Check your Realtek Control Manager, if the the speakers are connected as 'Rear speakers' change it to rear 'Line Out', see how it goes.

wainuitech
10-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Sometimes you can spend ages looking for a problem -- try a simple fix first -- Run system restore back to yesterday or when the audio was working. Sometimes a hidden setting, update may have changed causing the problem.
If that doesn't work, considering its got two OS's there may have been some sort of hardware failure - one way to check is to boot from a linux live CD and see if the audio works, if it does, its a software problem in windows if not its hardware, or something is plugged in the wrong hole.

Actually had that yesterday, the local tech said the Motherboard was stuffed. 1st step, check which socket the speakers were plugged into - pink- :rolleyes: Plugged into green and they worked.

feersumendjinn
10-09-2013, 09:20 PM
If headphones/earphones/buds are plugged in a LOT and roughly this can damage the sockets in your computer, can bend the switch (that cuts out other circuits/outputs) that is at the far end of the socket, and either permanently shorts or opens the circuit.
Try disconnecting the front audio in/out plug from the mother board, to see if you get anything at the back.
I have had exactly this problem with a relative's computer, needed to fit a sound card to fix, also added a Y cable (3 way plug to two 3 way sockets) to avoid damaging sound card socket.

tuxdude143
11-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Check your Realtek Control Manager, if the the speakers are connected as 'Rear speakers' change it to rear 'Line Out', see how it goes.
Tried that already. Same result

tuxdude143
11-09-2013, 10:40 AM
If headphones/earphones/buds are plugged in a LOT and roughly this can damage the sockets in your computer, can bend the switch (that cuts out other circuits/outputs) that is at the far end of the socket, and either permanently shorts or opens the circuit.
Try disconnecting the front audio in/out plug from the mother board, to see if you get anything at the back.
I have had exactly this problem with a relative's computer, needed to fit a sound card to fix, also added a Y cable (3 way plug to two 3 way sockets) to avoid damaging sound card socket.
I do plug headphones in a lot into my pc and it occoured to me that that might be a problem. Unplugged them and tried the back, same bloody result. Still no audio from the back even when its unplugged. This is getting stupid.
Also I should mention that when I plug my headphones into the audio out port on the back or the headphones port I get a buzzing sound. Still you might be on the right track though. My audio manager goes a bit silly when I plug my headphones in. It says that headphones are plugged in, then bizzarely it says that the microphone is plugged in and then that the headphones are plugged in again.

dugimodo
11-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Some front audio incorporates a switch to cut off the rear audio when you plug headphones in, the switch can become faulty over time and cause issues. Also simply unplugging it from the motherboard might not work as you may need to install links to connect the audio to the rear as in place of the switch - all assuming the audio device is actually still working.

One solution other than buying a sound card is one of these or similar http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA26334. I use one on my media PC as it's onboard audio is pretty rubbish.

tuxdude143
11-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Some front audio incorporates a switch to cut off the rear audio when you plug headphones in, the switch can become faulty over time and cause issues. Also simply unplugging it from the motherboard might not work as you may need to install links to connect the audio to the rear as in place of the switch - all assuming the audio device is actually still working.

One solution other than buying a sound card is one of these or similar http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA26334. I use one on my media PC as it's onboard audio is pretty rubbish.

Ah, right. So, I should use circut jumpers to be put in place of the switch? That might work.

tuxdude143
11-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Still from tests I think it may be the front audio switch thats faulty, not the sound card. Mainly because if the sound card was faulty it would show up in the device manager as a device with a problem and it wouldn't render sound. Currently it renders sound and is showing up in the device manager as working properly. So its probably the switch. So now I need to find a way to use something like a circut jumper to imitate the switch

tuxdude143
12-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Do'h! Tried unplugging the front board from my computer and leaving the plug on the board in to make contact. Still nothing. Thing is this all started when I put in my pci wireless card. It still happened after taking it out as well though. Still, all I get is buzzing. *sigh* looks like i'll be needing a new sound card.

Agent_24
12-09-2013, 12:02 PM
if the sound card was faulty it would show up in the device manager as a device with a problem and it wouldn't render sound.

That's not how device manager works. Device manager will tell you there's a problem when Windows has a software\driver problem. You would not typically be notified about actual hardware failures.

tuxdude143
12-09-2013, 12:07 PM
That's not how device manager works. Device manager will tell you there's a problem when Windows has a software\driver problem. You would not typically be notified about actual hardware failures.
Oh, derp.
Well, its looking fine in the device manager so its probably not a driver problem. Urgh. Looks like its a hardware problem. I'm gonna need to shell out $38 bucks for a new sound card.

Agent_24
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Well, some device manager error codes can be indicative of a hardware fault, but there is no guarantee really.

If you can, get hold of a Linux CD or such and try booting that live, and seeing if your sound works there. Then you should know for sure if it's a hardware or software problem.

wainuitech
12-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Well, some device manager error codes can be indicative of a hardware fault, but there is no guarantee really.

If you can, get hold of a Linux CD or such and try booting that live, and seeing if your sound works there. Then you should know for sure if it's a hardware or software problem. Suggested that back in Post 13.

Cant resist: From original post--
Any ideas on what this might be? I am a bit of a computer whizz but this is getting stupid now.;) Really ?? Yet not checked if its software or hardware before spending money on a card. Basic Trouble Shooting :rolleyes:

Agent_24
12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Suggested that back in Post 13.

Whoops, didn't see it there, must have skipped over it

tuxdude143
13-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Suggested that back in Post 13.

Cant resist: From original post--;) Really ?? Yet not checked if its software or hardware before spending money on a card. Basic Trouble Shooting :rolleyes:
I DID check the bloody software and hardware!! I tried 2 operating systems, tried basic hardware troubleshooting etc. So keep your bloody remarks to yourself!

bk T
13-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Come on, tuxdude143, we are only trying to help. wainuitech is one of the most knowledgeable and helpfull person in this forum.

Your comments are not friendly at all.

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2013, 11:05 AM
If you want tuxdude install teamviewer on it. Send me the ID and password it gives you in a PM. I'll have a look. Get tdsskiller run it (http://support.kaspersky.com/5350). See if you've got rootkits. It looks like some rootkits can kill sound. If it picks anything up select cure, wait for it to finish then reboot

tuxdude143
13-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I didn't want to lash out like that. Sorry.
Also, the thing is if I use a remote desktop program that can stream sound to connect to the computer with the broken sound card sound will stream out of the computer connecting to it just fine. Its probably something to do with hardware in the computer.

tuxdude143
14-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Great news. I FIXED IT!!!!! It was a hardware problem. Using good old trial and error, a screwdriver, a pin and some celotape I managed to fix the connection that was stopping my sound card from working!

Agent_24
14-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Front panel connector problem?

wainuitech
14-09-2013, 03:31 PM
I DID check the bloody software and hardware!! I tried 2 operating systems, tried basic hardware troubleshooting etc. So keep your bloody remarks to yourself! Well if you are a computer whizz as claimed then you would have figured out it was hardware, which you mentioned was the problem in a later post.

If you tried two different OS's and it still didn't work that alone would give a high percentage of hardware problem. Then finding where the problem hardware actually was can be trial and error.

BTW, some advice - saying things like you did about being a whizz, --- you find the majority of people that have a good amount of knowledge dont go "bragging" they only end up making a fool of themselves at some stage.

It also helps alot, if ALL information is given when asking for help, no one knows whats been tried unless its mentioned, no ones a mind reader.

tuxdude143
16-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Front panel connector problem?

No, it was an issue with the realtek chip on the motherboard. Loose pin. Used the little sewing pin to help it make a contact again.

Agent_24
16-09-2013, 12:10 PM
If it's a cracked solder joint you really need to re-solder it, the problem will probably just come back otherwise, unfortunately.

tuxdude143
16-09-2013, 02:22 PM
If it's a cracked solder joint you really need to re-solder it, the problem will probably just come back otherwise, unfortunately.
Your right. It was a bit of a stupid placement of the audio card really. Still, i'll try and use a multimeter and some close inspection to check