PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet setup with XP Pro

straka01
08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm working on my grandmothers PC that runs XP Pro.
I've been trying to get it to 'see' the wireless network in my home.
I have a laptop & desktops that are connected to the wireless network - but her PC says there are NO WIRELESS NETWORKS AVAILABLE!
I've cleaned all the malware, viruses, trojans etc that may have an issue.
There must be a setting or switch that I have wrong?
Any help appreciated....

wainuitech
08-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Make sure the Wireless is actually turned on (serious -- Been to many places same thing, and its turned off) Usually there will either be a small switch someplace on the side or front, or a Key Combo generally FN + ?? ( a key that has a wireless signal) OR a single button along the F line some place.

I lost count of the number of Laptops that cant detect a Wireless, the Wireless key has a Orange glow, press it, turns to Blue and what ya know - Wireless networks available.

straka01
08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
My grandmothers PC is a desktop - I just brough the box home & plugged in a spare keybd, mse & screen. Is there likely to be a switch on a desktop? I agree that that does sound like the problem. I'll go & double check if there's some sort of switch on the back - but I doubt it. If I have success I'll let you know, if not - I won't respond.

southern_jas
08-09-2013, 06:44 PM
One quick thing - you mention this is a desktop. Does it have an additional wireless card at all? Usually by default most desktop PCs don't come standard with wireless adapters in my experience.

If it does, is XP at Service Pack 3? What is the WiFi network running at - WEP, WPA, WPA2?

straka01
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I didn't check if it has SP3 - will do so now & load it up if it hasn't. Many thanks.
Don't know if that'll sort it - it has been able to see & connect to a wireless network in the past - however, something may have changed. I'll check.

Postscript:
Just checked & it does have SP3 loaded. It's set at WPA2 & no, it doesn't have a wireless card.

There must be a tick-box, switch or setting somewhere that I have wrong?
Is there a software switch or setting on desktops that does the same as the button on laptops that turn the internet connection on or off???

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Does the wireless connection appear in network connections? If you could connect it with an ethernet cable, and plug it into the back of the modem (if its a modem/router), I could check it out with teamviewer. If you want

straka01
08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
No, it doesn't appear on the wireless networks - which is really odd as the laptop & desktops around it are all connected to the wireless network! Thanks for the offer of checking it out - I don't think I have an ethernet cable around here! Will check...

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Look in device manager is there an entry there to do with a wireless connection / adapter under network adapters?

wainuitech
08-09-2013, 07:43 PM
it doesn't have a wireless card. That will be a problem.

If its connected before and Doesn't have a wireless card, then "maybe" a Wireless USB Adaptor was plugged in.

Unless its a recent motherboard, then it wont have onboard Wireless.

You need either a Wireless card OR a USB Adapter.

straka01
08-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes, the wireless adapter is there & it's working properly.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Hmm did you find an ethernet cable then ?

straka01
08-09-2013, 08:02 PM
It has a telecom wireless 'golfball' adapter - used to work perfectly with another wieless network. I've reloaded the software (after completely unstalling it).

straka01
08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Visitors have arrived - I'll have to continue with this tomorrow evening. Many thanks everyone.

wainuitech
08-09-2013, 09:50 PM
It has a telecom wireless 'golfball' adapter - used to work perfectly with another wieless network. I've reloaded the software (after completely unstalling it).

This is like pulling teeth --------- Give ALL the details please.

Assume you mean one of These:
http://www.usbgear.com/images/USBG-GOLF1.jpg

Assuming it is, do you have the rest of it as well, meaning the actual USB Wireless Adaptor ?

The "golfball" if its the same one as pictured is ONLY an extension, on its not the actual Wireless.