PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

jayal
05-09-2013, 10:51 PM
apparently W M P is not compatible with W7???? I know there are other media players but I'd like to install W M P, help please

linw
05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Where did you hear that? I had wmp on W7 and it is on my W8 as we speak.

wainuitech
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM
apparently W M P is not compatible with W7???? I know there are other media players but I'd like to install W M P, help please EH!! who told you that rubbish ?

WMP comes with Windows 7, its fully compatible. It cant play some formats but that about all.

If you need to install or remove WMP go into the control panel, Programs and features, on the left click Turn features on or off, scroll down till you find Media Features ( Think that what its called or similar) to uninstall it untick Windows media Player, or tick to install.

There are are some versions of Windows 7 & 8, (N & KN versions), that dont have media player, but they can be installed as a separate program http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

jayal
05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Download Center

Software
Categories
Security & updates
Support
Shop

from the MS download site
Windows
Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player is not compatible with your system.

You are running Windows 7 64-bit. Although Windows Media Player will not run on your system, you can download Windows Media Player for other operating systems.

jayal
05-09-2013, 11:32 PM
WMP is not included in the programmes and features so I can't turn it off or on, that's why i used the MS site to get it

wainuitech
05-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Thats completely incorrect. As mentioned previously, WMP comes preinstalled in W7 with the exception of N & KN versions ( UK versions of Windows).

Some programs that require validation wont install if the COA ( product key) is pirated. ( not saying yours is, just saying thats one reason for not passing validation) In the link I provided you can download WMP, it checks to see if your OS is legit / genuine and if it is then you get the download, if it fails you wont.

jayal
05-09-2013, 11:55 PM
downloaded "GenuineCheck.exe" -- result --

this version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure your system clock is accurate

something odd here!

jayal
06-09-2013, 12:03 AM
in "Turn Windows Features" on or off, W M P is ticked

pcuser42
06-09-2013, 12:13 AM
in "Turn Windows Features" on or off, W M P is ticked

Then you don't need to do anything :)

Windows 7 comes with WMP12, which is still the latest version.

wainuitech
06-09-2013, 09:04 AM
if WMP is not opening its possible some other media player has taken over.

Have a look in the task bar, bottom left beside the Start button- look for a blue square with a orange circle/White triangle --its there by default thats WMP. If its not there ( been unpinned) click start, type in media WMP should appear in the list.

Its also possible if its not working its been corrupted somehow. You can uninstall it as I mentioned above ( post #3) , by unticking it in turn Windows Features on or off, reboot then go back and tick it, it should then reinstall.

jayal
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
thanks for your help guys, I got it by clicking a wmp file and associating it with the player, everything fell into place