PDA

View Full Version : Something other than Outlook Express?

06-12-2001, 10:54 PM
Ongoing Outlook connection problems and the forever the problems with viruses. (never had one yet though)
So, what other programs will do POP, Hotmail and Newsgroups other than OE?
Recommendations please.
Will there be problems changing programs and Norton AV?

06-12-2001, 11:24 PM
I stopped using OE for the same reason, except it was after Melissa.

You could try Eudora (www.eudora.com)or Pegasus Mail (www.pmail.com).

I've heard you can log into hotmail from any client, but I haven't tested it.

POP3: pop.hotmail.com
SMTP: relay.hotmail.com

Eudora and NS6/Mozilla can import from OE, I haven't tested others.

07-12-2001, 06:46 AM
I have used Eudorapro though plain old eudora is the free version or was way back when it was v4. The way to do things won't differ that much with what you do now with OE. I have heard that in the later versions (v5.*) some talk about how the program talks home, not sure if this is to do with updates or spyware though.

07-12-2001, 09:34 AM
I strongly recommend 'The Bat' from Ritlabs

<A href='http://www.ritlabs.com'>

(hope that link works)

It does cost a few dollars but it is worth it.

Cheers
Paul

07-12-2001, 09:37 AM
Oops forgot to close the <A>

Try agai here (or does this forum not accept links)

<A href='http://www.ritlabs.com'>Click here</A>

07-12-2001, 09:53 AM
Hi Roy
Have a look at Incredimail, it's a great mail program. I'm not sure about hot mail, but you can find out on their site. The program is free so check it out at
www.incredimail.com
The animations are brillant!!

08-12-2001, 08:12 AM
I have used incredmail for aboiut three months and found it a resonable email system. I think the novalty was the greatest enhancement for the backgrounds and expressions that could be used.
In the end with the advertising banner that was always operating and along with I suspect conflict with the volume of animation associated with this sytem and maybe my system win98 Ie:6 and Anti virus 2001 was beginning to creat increasing freezing of the system that was cleared after deleting incredemail then reloading it was becoming unreliable for my operation.
But It is a good system with what it can do.

09-12-2001, 01:03 PM
I use incredimail and it supports hotmail and inports all the Email from one to the other, i have 6 accounts on this new mailer.

09-12-2001, 01:17 PM
I had the same problem not so long ago.I found my hassel in dare i say it,outlook express,
Open outlook then tools at the top task bar,
Options then connections tab,
them check the box:/Ask b4 switching dialup connection.
uncheck the box:/ Hangup after
sending&receiving.if u try this ok, but there was some other stuff i did that helped.

09-12-2001, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies - it shows there is life after OE.
The fix clyde suggested doesn't fix like back to pre-format days, but it does work around the really annoying disconnections. Thanks
Roy