PDA

View Full Version : Telecoms Ultra VDSL

ollieogg
05-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi all, I had Chorus in today upgrading us to Ultra VDSL. Poor Man was here for hours on end. (the joys of an older home apparently) I wasn't at home when this was done so I didn't get a chance to grill him about it all. I used Telecom Chat to find out how long it will be before I notice any difference. They said 10 Days:eek: and after that it will be a constant speed. Can someone explain (in laymans terms) why it will fluctuate for 10 days and then settle to a constant speed. Is Telecom trying to throttle my broadband or something?

Cheers Katy:banana

Agent_24
05-09-2013, 08:38 PM
VDSL uses a technology called DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which runs every day over the first 10 days to find the best settings for your line for maximum speed and reliability.
You should notice a big improvement in the first few hours but you may not get maximum speed until the 10 days is up.

After the 10-day period, DLM still runs but only makes profile changes once a week or so.

It's not a scam by Telecom, it's just that VDSL greatly pushes the limits of copper wiring compared to ADSL - and remember - it was only designed originally to carry very low bandwidth voice!

inphinity
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Any ISP reselling VDSL on the Chorus copper network will have the same. Yes, as Agent24 said, DLM uses this period to determine the optimal settings for a balance of performance & reliability for your line.

ollieogg
05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Thank you for your replies its fascinating stuff.