PDA

View Full Version : Virus Malware Protection

Pato
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I have ESET Security V6 installed. I also have Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and Spybot. I know I don't need all that and thought I might dump Malwarebytes.

Will Super and Spybot do their thing without too much input or are their functions that I need to set up or avoid?.

Also is it worth paying for ESET when Avast seems to do a good job? Any help appreciated.

dugimodo
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
personally I'd keep MBAM and drop spybot of the two. Can't comment on ESET, stuck with the free ones myself.

Pato
03-09-2013, 02:53 PM
personally I'd keep MBAM and drop spybot of the two. Can't comment on ESET, stuck with the free ones myself.Why don't you like Spybot?.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Depends what your system gets infected with. If you get a rootkit, you can use something like tdsskiller.

But other malware / viruses / trojans remove / delete services. In which case no AV program can bring a service back. You'll have to have a spare PC with the same OS, and export the reg key, then import the key into the infected PC to re-add the service. Or find sites online, that have the reg files (for whatever service), for all the Windows OS's. And there's a few. Same goes for files that some may infect. You can either copy it from a clean PC, (like I did the other day), or a repair install may replace the infected file/s

pctek
03-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I have ESET Security V6 installed. I also have Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and Spybot. I know I don't need all that and thought I might dump Malwarebytes.

Will Super and Spybot do their thing without too much input or are their functions that I need to set up or avoid?.

Also is it worth paying for ESET when Avast seems to do a good job? Any help appreciated.

Persoonally I'd keep the lot.
You can alternate scans with MBAM and SAS....
Yes NOD32 way outperforms Avast. Keep it.

It's not that much per year to renew....

Pato
03-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that advice.

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2013, 05:28 PM
I'll +1 what pctek stuff, keep Eset NOD32, it's worth paying for, for how much better it performs than Avast!

dugimodo
03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I do like spybot, but recent reviews have been mediocre and I think MBAM is better overall, which is why I said of the two I'd keep MBAM. If I was getting rid of one that is.
I keep a system image and use the free options, for me the worse case scenario is a few hours lost time while I restore everything or more likely less than an hour if the most recent image is good so I don't stress about Viruses too much.

To be honest I'm running just defender on 8 at the moment, haven't gotten around to installing anything else and it's been a couple months.

autechre
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
No reason not to keep all of them, but as dugimodo said, if you were to get rid of one ditch Spybot.

Last I tried v2, it was truly awful to use.
MBAM is good, as is SAS and Eset is about the best AV money can buy :D

Pato
04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for further comments and help.

GayleTek
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM
too many antivirus, they will fight with each other and eat too much resources:D

bir8
06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Also is it worth paying for ESET when Avast seems to do a good job?
I had good experience with Avast, and I would not recommend paying for ESET as in my experience it throws a lot of false positives just to fake an higher detection rate than free competitors... that applies even to AVG "full", even if it is not so blatantly scareware as ESET.
I would also recommend to keep MBAM for on the fly scan, and to use Spybot for cleaning up the mess of spyware, pup, and tracking cookies.
About Spybot, the UI changes in last major version let most affectionate users quite puzzled, so it had plenty negative reviews even if the scanning engine is quite solid. Personally I'm keeping up to date Spybot 1.6.x as it is by far more usable than the 2.x releases, and performance is reasonable.

wainuitech
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I had good experience with Avast, and I would not recommend paying for ESET as in my experience it throws a lot of false positives just to fake an higher detection rate than free competitors... that applies even to AVG "full", even if it is not so blatantly scareware as ESET.
Bollocks :lol:

Theres been many Customers Computers that have had Avast on which has obvious infections, or the infections have toasted the Avast in the first place. Avast often misses real infections, that other Malware / Antivirus software will detect easily.

Going by your comments you would rather have a Program miss a legit infection than give a false positive - its always better to be more protective than not working at all. AVG even the paid version is rubbish, the amount of infected PC's I had through the workshop with a destroyed AVG ( both Free and paid) is disgusting. AVG will slow down just about any computer.

At the moment theres a Customers PC in the workshop, "had" Avast, the OS is toasted because of the infections. When it starts up after about 10 minutes because its so bad, its plainly obvious just by icons and all the pop ups its riddled. BTW the PC is not low on specs either.

Just curious: when mentioned " I had good experience with Avast," just how many computers are you referring to. 1,2, 10, 20, or 100+ Because I'm referring to hundreds (literally) not just 1 or 2.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2013, 01:21 AM
I'll second Wainuitech's sentiments. I've had countless PC's over the years running Avast and AVG come to me, even lately..... Sometimes I wonder if you're better off with nothing instead of the false sense of security that those two off :-/

bir8
07-09-2013, 04:38 AM
Just curious: when mentioned " I had good experience with Avast," just how many computers are you referring to. 1,2, 10, 20, or 100+ Because I'm referring to hundreds (literally) not just 1 or 2.
100+, and generally speaking I've seen literary thousands of machines in 20 years: I've seen many AV going from nothing to stars (and vice versa) in general sentiment, but I've never found an AV that never failed in the wild.
Of course, I'm not saying all AV are the same, in each moment meaningful comparison of detection rate can be done, however in my experience perfection does not exists - what exists are 0-days exploits that will toast the (former) best existing solution in no time.
About false positives, I've mixed feelings.
Of course I can second you "Kill them all, God will know His own", a false positive is not nearly as harmful as an undetected malware, BUT there is a big problem here: is the false positive a physiological, acceptable, unavoidable, flaw of the AV, or is it a purposely deceitful declaration of net-non-neutrality (e.g. toward a competitor product or company, or toward someone not buying in "security" certifications Ponzi-schemes, and so on)?
I'm all-in for the security side, but I just not give up so easily on net-neutrality to all self proclaimed authority that so often comes up lately (that means there is real money in doing that...).

pctek
07-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Bollocks :lol:

Theres been many Customers Computers that have had Avast on which has obvious infections, or the infections have toasted the Avast in the first place. Avast often misses real infections, that other Malware / Antivirus software will detect easily.

+1

Real world repairs for malware have shown NOD32 to be excellent and AVG and Avast to be lacking.
I too saw hundreds of infected PCs with AVG/Avast oblivious to the malware.

My own NOD32 picks up 2 exes on my PC has possibly suspect - I know they are not - it's just it suspects it due to the way it's packaged, so I set it to ignore those two.

I sure wouldn't ditch NOD32 based on a couple of false positives.

Pato
07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I appreciate all the comments. I am going to stick with ESET Security.

wainuitech
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
100+, and generally speaking I've seen literary thousands of machines in 20 years: I've seen many AV going from nothing to stars (and vice versa) in general sentiment, but I've never found an AV that never failed in the wild.
Of course, I'm not saying all AV are the same, in each moment meaningful comparison of detection rate can be done, however in my experience perfection does not exists - what exists are 0-days exploits that will toast the (former) best existing solution in no time.

I'll agree there, no AV is perfect or ever will be, but I'd rather have a AV give a false positive then miss something that's obvious.
Makes me smile when something like Avast or AVG say the PC is clean but even to an untrained eye its obviously not.

One thing that cant be trusted is Lab tests -- Its been proven many times that lab tests cant replicate real world usage. One testing site will give a Antivirus a certain marking, and another will give the same AV totally different.

I as well have seen thousands, just didn't want to write up that many as it may sound un realistic to some people. On average over a year it can be anything from 100-200 jobs with infected PC's.

Agent_24
07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
One thing that cant be trusted is Lab tests -- Its been proven many times that lab tests cant replicate real world usage.

The single biggest thing that the lab tests can't replicate is user stupidity.

No matter how good your Antivirus, if the user is stupid enough they will get infected anyway.

Morkel
11-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Anyone here know about the window 7 security.My laptop showing a pop up again and again about the wmrmgr.exe error and i can't fix that problem and can't or update any virus due to that file.How can i fix that?

wratterus
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM

What absolute rubbish.

I've used NOD32 for a long time (around 7 years now I'd say). Think I remember 1 or 2 false positives in that time, and they always sort them out very quickly too. See AVG throwing them up all the time.

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2013, 05:23 PM
When does that error come up Morkel?? When you boot into windows? Sounds like it maybe malware

pctek
11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
I do like spybot, but recent reviews have been mediocre .

Reviews....hmmm.....never go by them go by what they find.

Can't say I've tried V2 of Spybot extensively, but the old remains the same.
Keep them all......1 antivirus, several antispywares.