PDA

View Full Version : upgrade time

tweak'e
02-09-2013, 11:31 PM
hi all, its been a while.
i'm horribly out of date, can someone give me a quick run down of current pc specs? whats best?

my vid card overheated and died, and being AGP (yes its that old!) it time for an upgrade.
btw i've dragged out my old GF3 orginal which i had in my early days here. got it fired up and running at the mo. a classic :)

looking for mobo, cpu, ssd drive, psu, ram, vid. have plenty of hard drives tho new dvd may be in order as its pata.
only playing older games and more interested in video. old vid card had issues with HD video.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Whats the budget? Dont think you can get socket 775 now. So, it's either AMD, socket 1150, or socket 1155

dugimodo
03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
A good mid specced PC for general purpose & gaming would be;

i5 - any desktop version
8 Gb of RAM (16 if you think it worthwhile)
650 ti Boost (or whatever the AMD equivalent currently is)
120 Gb or bigger SSD - I like the samsung/cucial/ intel ones

Stick with the better brands for reliability - asus/ gigabyte/ asrock/ evga
and use a quality PSU - corsair, antec, silverstone, seasonic, etc - about 500W would be fine for that hardware, go to 650 if you want some headroom.

If you have money left to spend go for a better graphics card first for gaming or a higher model CPU for everything else. A GTX 760 is all the graphics card any single monitor gamer would currently need so somewhere between the 650 ti boost and that is the area to aim for. I wouldn't go any lower for that the 650 Ti personally.

tweak'e
03-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Whats the budget? Dont think you can get socket 775 now. So, it's either AMD, socket 1150, or socket 1155
probably looking around $1000 or so.
whats the current onboard graphics like these days?

i've always had AMD, maybe a time for a change ;)

wainuitech
03-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Go intel - The onboard graphics these days are far superior to what they used to be - in fact unless you do higher powered graphic work or serious gaming the onboard will be fine.

You can always add in a graphic card at a later date if its required for more serious work.

The latest intel 1150 will be far better than AMD's.

inphinity
03-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Entry-level, Intel and AMD CPUs are much of a muchness, but once you're looking at an i5 or above, AMD can't keep pace. However, AMDs integrated graphics are lightyears ahead of Intels, so it depends what suits your needs. Something like an AMD A10-6800K will smash the pants of something like an i3-4130/4330 in any GPU intensive situation (assuming using integrated GPU in both cases). But if it's CPU performance you need (or you expect to go to a discrete GPU soonish), Intel, no question.

tweak'e
03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
i forgot about good old windows?
whats best go straight for win8 ? pro?

very roughly what i'm looking at ....

Asus Z87-Plus Motherboard, Socket 1150, Intel Z87, 4xDDR3, 3xPCIe-16, 2xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, HDMI, RAID, ATX
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz, Socket 1150, Haswell
Intel 520 Series Solid State Drive, 120GB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 2.5", MLC, 25nm
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL9, DIMM
Enermax Tomahawk II ENP500AST, 500W ATX PSU, Black
Microsoft Windows 8, for 64-bit systems, OEM

anything not compatible ?

wainuitech
03-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Re windows 8 Version -- you dont really need Pro for a home user. You can compare editions here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#Comparison_chart) or a more simplified version/list here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/compare) ( it lists upgrades but the full versions are the same)

The parts you listed would make make windows 8 run very nicely :).

If you want an example, I got several PC's I'm building at the moment, all the same.

They have gigabyte boards ( GA-B85M-D3H), with i5 4430 (3.0Ghz) cpu, 8 GB RAM, standard HDD 1TB's ( SSD will be faster) Same Power Supply you listed.

They have a rating of 5.9 ( see Picture below) the HDD is the Bottle neck other wise its over all rating would be higher.

These computers start - from the time of pressing the "on" button to a workable Windows 8 start page 13 seconds (just timed two of them both the same) Thats running Nod32 as the AV.

dugimodo
03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Looks good, you're probably aware the "K" CPU's are for overclocking so only get it if that's something you want otherwise it's a waste.

tweak'e
03-09-2013, 10:56 PM
whats the S version cpu? low wattage and slower clock speed, is that a mobile version?

SolMiester
04-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Tweaké, check out ASrocks new Z87 motherboards for the Haswell chip....They have a built in iCloud interface for remote anything and a great list of extra features you pay a premium for on Gigabyte and ASUS boards..
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1958789 @ $184
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Pro4/

Yes S is low wattage 65w

Chilling_Silence
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm more of a fan of the OCZ / Samsung SSD's than the Intel ones. Intel are definitely highest on reliability, but I've had better performance from the Samsung / OCZ ones.

SolMiester
04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
I think most people would struggle to notice that diff between SSD & spindle anyway, let alone 2 diff SSD, unless you are benching of course......I am so over sandforce controllers, i use Intel now just because they are so reliable....

wratterus
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
I think most people would struggle to notice that diff between SSD & spindle anyway

Really? I reckon there is a massive and noticeable difference. For what most people use their computer for, the mechanical hard drive has been the main bottleneck for a long time. Putting even a cheap SSD into a PC or laptop makes it 'feel' a lot faster.

You give someone who uses their PC for solitaire and emails a quad core i7 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, or a cheap AM2 build with an SSD, bet you they will think the AM2 is faster.

SolMiester
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Really? I reckon there is a massive and noticeable difference. For what most people use their computer for, the mechanical hard drive has been the main bottleneck for a long time. Putting even a cheap SSD into a PC or laptop makes it 'feel' a lot faster.

You give someone who uses their PC for solitaire and emails a quad core i7 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, or a cheap AM2 build with an SSD, bet you they will think the AM2 is faster.

I use SSDs everyday on my PCs, normal users have spindles...I disagree that the diff is noticeable, especially when the PC is running....guess it depends on workload...but e-mail & internet...nah!

wratterus
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Fair point - I am more thinking of bootup/opening programs, especially bootup.

SolMiester
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Fair point - I am more thinking of bootup/opening programs, especially bootup.

Most office programs are open all day, RAM is cheap...SSD is a lot of wedge to blow on booting up!..TBH, id rather spend it on dGPU

linw
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Had a discussion about SSDs with my son the other day. He thought I would notice a big difference and I didn't think I would!

I've never used an SSD, but, given I sleep my machine thus eliminating 95% of boot lags, and that I have an I5 with 8GB RAM, I am comfortable with the responsiveness I get now. The progs I mostly use are open all day, as well.

I'll tell him an eminent expert agrees with me!!

Wouldn't turn one down if Santa provided though!!

dugimodo
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah sleeping the PC does negate most of the boot advantage. I shut mine down most nights though and install a few large games on mine so I feel it's worthwhile.

During my last rebuild I briefly went back to regular HDD and That's when I really noticed the difference, much more than when I switched the other way originally.
Once you get used to it you wouldn't want to go back.

SolMiester
04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
People still turn off their PCs?.../joke

tweak'e
04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm more of a fan of the OCZ / Samsung SSD's than the Intel ones. Intel are definitely highest on reliability, but I've had better performance from the Samsung / OCZ ones.
i'll stick with the reliability thanks :)
i've had a good run with asus boards so i might stay with that.

i'm not to sure on the whole memory thing at the mo, still looking into the speeds and cpu speeds.

Chilling_Silence
04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Don't notice it? Were they drunk?!

Example:
Wife and I sat down to play Lord of the Rings Online at the same time. Her CPU was faster than mine AND I had to load more textures coz I had settings turned up. Her graphics card was better at the time, a nicer nVidia one.
I loaded the game up, got to hero selection, chose my character, loaded the game, used a Milestone point to return to a town, loaded the new town, ran to the nearest stables, fast-travelled, loaded the new town, ran to the nearest stables, fast-travelled once again... Then my wife got to the character selection screen. Needless to see after she noticed that, she wanted a SSD too...

So yeah, definitely notice a SSD, and even notice the difference between the two brands, Intel vs OCZ.

tweak'e
04-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Wife and I sat down to play Lord of the Rings Online ........
LOL you guys havn't changed one bit :)

inphinity
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
There's a significant difference in most everyday tasks with an SSD, let alone high disk throughput tasks (like, I dunno, HD video editing). If you genuinely don't think there's much difference, I can only assume you have an early gen SSD, or a poor controller :P

Chilling_Silence
04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
There's a significant difference in most everyday tasks with an SSD, let alone high disk throughput tasks (like, I dunno, HD video editing). If you genuinely don't think there's much difference, I can only assume you have an early gen SSD, or a poor controller :P
Yeah I noticed a difference even going from SATA2 to SATA3. It wasn't a big one, but noticeable nonetheless!

LOL you guys havn't changed one bit :)

Anope ! :D It's good to have you back mate.

tweak'e
11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
well the bulk of it is done.
by god does it boot up quick :thumbs:
opens up files really quick.
still got a lot of programs to sort and files to sort out. havn't had a chance to fire up any games of yet.
win8 is taking some getting used to.

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah mate throw a couple of games on the SSD, it's *brilliant*!!

sahilcc7
11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
probably looking around $1000 or so.
whats the current onboard graphics like these days?

i've always had AMD, maybe a time for a change ;)

I just built a PC for around a grand.

i5 4670
ASUS b85M-E mobo
8gb RAM

I'm using HD 4600 onboard graphics for now. I will get an SSD and a graphics card later. The system boots very fast already with the 7200 RPM HDD. I am able to easily play games like Counterstrike Source at 1080p no issues. Just cause 2 runs a little slow but it's playable at 1080p with low settings.

I didn't install the HD4600 graphics drivers at first and games ran very slow - counterstrike was very laggy. Then I installed drivers and everything ran *way* better! Silly me :P

tweak'e
11-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah mate throw a couple of games on the SSD, it's *brilliant*!!
i just threw my old doom3 on the ssd. runs very nicely and better graphics than the old agp vid card (which was one of the fastest or very close to it). not bad for onboard graphics.