PDA

View Full Version : ISP Change

06-12-2001, 10:20 PM
As a long time (very satisfied) Voyager user, have just been advised that Voyager is 'Out of here' for domestic users effective 31 Dec so I've gotta go.
Xtra are offering good terms for those transferring.
Anybody with advice on pros & cons of the various ISPs eg Xtra / Paradise / Ihug / Actrix etc etc?
Any comments appreciated.

06-12-2001, 10:40 PM
I hear from Gordon further down the page, that u can buy zfree accounts for $30. I'm waiting to hear where.

I've been using zfree for about a year now. No probs. Free surfing as long as u like as often as u like.

If u want to waste money on an ISP, have a look at slingshot.co.nz $15 month, no limits. Beats slow Xtra at $25.

Also, have a look at consumers.org.nz They list all the ISP's and prices etc for your area.
Cheers.

06-12-2001, 10:47 PM
Hi

I see a few ZFree accounts for auction on TradeMe (www.trademe.co.nz).

I have a ZFree account used by my mother - and use this as an emergency back up, but personally find Paradise.net's service and connection excellent. $20 for 250 hours.

I was with Xtra for 2 years until recently - they seem to have grown too much now, and increased their price to $27.95 p/m - I was sick and tired of not being able to connect due to busy lines.

J

07-12-2001, 06:54 AM
Nice of voyager to dump there valued customers....
Telecom has not long hiked up the price to 27.95 though whether that would affect you straight off would depend on what they are offering. Paradise is $20 for 250hrs and a surcharge thereafter per hr with jetstart at 30 for 10gb capped, Inet in Christchurch which has just merged with Snap (www.inet.net.nz) which is nationwide is 20 for 280hrs and no surcharge for additional time and 35 for jetstart unlimited downloads.
If you are a big user maybe paradise 250hrs or inet 280hrs with no extra costs

07-12-2001, 06:19 PM
I too was very disappointed ot hear that. They have provided 7 years reliable / quality service to me. I used to be on the Voyager Netplan 20 (20 hours for $10).

No one seems to cater for users who don't use large quantities of time. I have had a look at Ihug and Xtra but neither ISP seems to be as competitive. The best xtra can offer is 10 hours for $10, otherwise I can pay $20 per month but can only surf until 5pm or after 11pm (between these hours you pay an additional $2.50 per hour).

07-12-2001, 07:32 PM
From personal experience, i would recommend either Slingshot.co.nz or Paradise.net.nz.
Slingshot is great for downloads while paradise is better for surfing.
But since slingshot is flat rate ($14.95/month) it is wise to go with them if it is available in your area. Email support is great with slingshot, if you start getting busy signals then email them and they increase capacity just like that! No more busy signals.

07-12-2001, 07:46 PM
i also have been happy with voyager, 7 years i was with them as well.? now im looking seriously at paradise or e3, www.e3.co.nz but im a little apprehensive because of the service ive had from voyager. ***** moan mutter, oh well time to pick......

07-12-2001, 08:06 PM
I use World-net.co.nz

Have been for about 2yrs, between my son and I, we hookup about 10 to 20 times a day. Last Sunday he was on 10hrs straight.

I don't recall ever not geting on first go, and never had less than 49,000Kbps.

I use their Cn plan I think it's called, pay 1 yr in advance, $20.00 per mth unlimited. Modem connection.

World-net have been around about 10yrs, and have always been the first ISP to get everything new, eg Jetstream, ADSL.

Though I must confess they don't stop spam, like I have been reading Paradise does.

I don't know what their help line is like, as I have never used it.