PDA

View Full Version : HP computer

ianhnz
31-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi guys.
Our latest computer, about a week old died and computer guy replaced with a HPa6140a.
Not happy with the fact that it is vista and having a few problems setting up.
Main problem is email.
On last computer I saved all out email addresses, for family and there's about 6.
I've installed my MS Office and tried to set up Outlook, but as I've not used it, I'm stuck as I don't seem to be able to copy my backup addresses into it.
Good thing my, "poor old laptop" can still get mail, for us.
Any help appreciated on this.
It's gota slot on front that says, HP Pocket media Drive Bay.
I Google and found it's an external hard drive.
Any ideas where I can find one?
Tried Trade Me, but couldn't find any.
:thanks
Ian

wainuitech
31-08-2013, 03:38 PM
To import the Address Book, you need to have it saved as either a .csv file or as part of the original .pst file.
To import a .csv file read the following: Import_Contacts_from_Excel_CSV.htm (http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Import_Contacts_from_Excel_CSV.htm)

As for the media Slot -- Only ever seen one myself, the person had brought it from the usa when he moved to NZ. Most of the time its like finding hens teeth to locate a drive.

linw
31-08-2013, 03:58 PM
If you only have 6 addresses, input them manually. Trust me, this will be a lot quicker and more reliable than trying to import them into Outlook.

ianhnz
31-08-2013, 05:13 PM
If you only have 6 addresses, input them manually. Trust me, this will be a lot quicker and more reliable than trying to import them into Outlook.

Yes, tried that after last response and I've forgotten how to load Gmail, now.
Anyone? Please?

wainuitech
31-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes, tried that after last response and I've forgotten how to load Gmail, now.
Anyone? Please? http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/outlook-gmail.html

ianhnz
31-08-2013, 06:40 PM
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/outlook-gmail.html

Been trying all day, tried al sorts and just cant do it.:mad:

wainuitech
31-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Been trying all day, tried al sorts and just cant do it.:mad: Hmmmmmmmmmmm should work,

OK try reading this one, has a couple of other options, mainly either pop or IMAP setup. Its showing Outlook 2013, but earlier versions are the same settings.

how-to/content/using-microsoft-outlook-with-gmail.html (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-microsoft-outlook-with-gmail.html)

Edited: read the comments as well, theres one setting that needs to be set not displayed in the original instructions.

What errors, or what if any messages are saying or not doing ?

Jen
31-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Our latest computer, about a week old died and computer guy replaced with a HPa6140a.
Not happy with the fact that it is vista and having a few problems setting up.Was this originally a 2nd hand computer? If it failed within a week, and you are not happy with the replacement (not comparable to the original PC), then you should be entitled to your money back. They should have replaced it with a similar PC, including operating system.

02-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Was this originally a 2nd hand computer? If it failed within a week, and you are not happy with the replacement (not comparable to the original PC), then you should be entitled to your money back. They should have replaced it with a similar PC, including operating system.

the replacement machine is Vista, so its old. There may be a reason they were sold an old Vista machine .

The HP HD slot is now a waste of time & $$ (may not even be available any more) , Its something that HP stopped using a while back. Just get a standard USB Hard drive .
I would try & get Outlook working again for email, the "computer guy" should have done this for you & set up the new (old) PC , at least setup email & transfered data (email, contacts, docs etc)

Lawrence
02-09-2013, 08:06 PM
The HP pocket Media drive comes in 80/120/160/250 GB,have a HP a6660a quad core and have 3 of their drives and with 2 of them I gutted them and stuck in 500GB drives

Very easy to open up (there is a youtube vid) how to open up
I wonder now if a 1 terabyte will work in these as they are very handy