PDA

View Full Version : Xp

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi guys.

Just upgraded our poor old computer, for an 18 month old.

Problem is didn't come with operating system, so computer guy put on XP Home, as windows 7 to expensive, for us.

My question is, can XP Home be run as a 64 bit system, or does anyone know where I can buy a cheap windows 7 Key, as I do have a copy, but no key?

Oh and nothing illegal like ;))

Thanks,

Ian.

pcuser42
28-08-2013, 01:49 PM
XP Home doesn't have a 64-bit version, and XP Pro 64-bit is terrible. :p

Should have got Windows 8 while it was $30 ;)

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 01:53 PM
XP Home doesn't have a 64-bit version, and XP Pro 64-bit is terrible. :p

Should have got Windows 8 while it was $30 ;)

Thanks for that and I agree about buy windows 8, but our teenager (13 year old) could run it, but this one can as I've tried the adviser program.

All boils down to money.

But, one would think, if windows 7 is out dated, why the still expensive to buy???

inphinity
28-08-2013, 02:00 PM
does anyone know where I can buy a cheap windows 7 Key, as I do have a copy, but no key?

Define cheap? Plenty of places sell Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM for <$150.

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Define cheap? Plenty of places sell Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM for <$150.

That's true, I seen on Trade Me, as an update, for $125.

But after just buying the machine and being on Invalids, no easy :(

Greg
28-08-2013, 02:31 PM
That's true, I seen on Trade Me, as an update, for $125.

But after just buying the machine and being on Invalids, no easy :(I would think that some of our PF1 members could make a donation of the OS for you. I'd do it if I had it.

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I would think that some of our PF1 members could make a donation of the OS for you. I'd do it if I had it.

Thanks, :crying:crying::blush::blush:

Driftwood
28-08-2013, 02:47 PM
You might have to go the Ubuntu way.

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 02:57 PM
You might have to go the Ubuntu way.

Over the last few years, I've downladed heaps of Linux, sorry Ubuntu.

I've tried it for my poor old laptop and I can't get wireless to work and as it's used on that no good.

Lately the ones I've tried, don't even boot up. :help:

Driftwood
28-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Must be the way you are doing it.
I use it on several systems here.
Usually it finds the wifi easier than windows.

ianhnz
28-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Must be the way you are doing it.
I use it on several systems here.
Usually it finds the wifi easier than windows.

That maybe so.
I received a training certificate, for Linux, many years ago and no wifi then.
There is a Linux group in Tauranga, but so far have not been able to go.
Can you know of a suitable program, that is easy to setup wifi?

Driftwood
28-08-2013, 04:07 PM
We are deviating away from the original post here but, what is the laptop you have & what distro are you using.
Also keep in mind that I am a novice with Linux but find it so easy after windows

Rod J
28-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I'd be very surprised if wifi on Ubuntu wouldn't work with an 18 month old laptop. Ubuntu might have a problem with the very latest hardware but anything over 12 months should be fine.

I'd recommend Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE desktop environment) over Ubuntu as it has a more familiar look and feel to Windows users and is infinitely configurable too.

wainuitech
28-08-2013, 05:31 PM
One question that no ones actually asked

If this laptop is ONLY 18 Months old it should have come with Windows 7 anyway, so why not just use the Windows 7 COA/Product key that should be on the underside of it. If its not there, then look inside the battery Compartment, sometimes they put them under the battery. If its been removed, then you been ripped off as someones stolen it.

Peter Coleman
28-08-2013, 07:00 PM
If you are interested,I have a copy of Vista home premium 32 bit you can have if you want.I got for my previous pc and have since upgraded to Win 7,but Trademe won't let me sell it as I don't have a pc to go with it and its an oem version.Its yours for free if it's any good to you.

bk T
28-08-2013, 09:11 PM
One question that no ones actually asked

If this laptop is ONLY 18 Months old it should have come with Windows 7 anyway, so why not just use the Windows 7 COA/Product key that should be on the underside of it. If its not there, then look inside the battery Compartment, sometimes they put them under the battery. If its been removed, then you been ripped off as someones stolen it.

Did ianhnz mention it's a laptop? Or I need to change my pair of glasses? :D

wainuitech
29-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Did ianhnz mention it's a laptop? Or I need to change my pair of glasses? :D

Sorry laptops on the brain then got 6 of them on my workbench at the moment. Regardless if its only 18 months old, legally if it had a W7 OS installed originally its meant to come with a COA visible someplace on a case. The only exception is if it never had a legal install in the first place, and before anyone jumps up and down saying it doesn't read the licencing. ( that is for W7, things have changed for W8)

Another option is to put on a 30 day trial of W7, then save ya :2cents: and buy a product key before it expires. You can actually extend out the 30 days to 120 by rearming.

inphinity
29-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Sorry laptops on the brain then got 6 of them on my workbench at the moment. Regardless if its only 18 months old, legally if it had a W7 OS installed originally its meant to come with a COA visible someplace on a case. The only exception is if it never had a legal install in the first place, and before anyone jumps up and down saying it doesn't read the licencing. ( that is for W7, things have changed for W8)

Playing devil's advocate a bit, if it's a desktop, it may have been custom built, and the original owner used their existing retail-licensed OS on it, and have carried that over to their replacement.

I thought I saw mentioned of a laptop, too, though, or perhaps that was in reference to the older machine that has been replaced. If it's a laptop I'd be surprised if it didn't come bundled with an OS.

Agent_24
29-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Linux has good driver support now, make sure you have a recent version of Linux.

Consistent booting problems are likely due to hardware quirks or a bug and there is probably a fix.