PDA

View Full Version : Some days I hate Windows 8...folder missing after relocation

wratterus
27-08-2013, 02:13 PM
So, got a Samsung Windows 8 tablet/netbook. Has 64GB onboard storage, and a 32GB SD card.

The C: is chock full, so I decided to move the 15GB Pictures folder to the SD card ( D: ). Done this hundreds of times in XP, Vista and 7, never had a problem with it.

What seems to have happened, when the location was changed to the new 'My Pictures' folder on the D:, is the folder itself has moved, one of the folders in the my pics folder has moved but the rest have vanished.

They are not on the SD card, if we look at the C: properties, the amount of data used is still including the 15gb pics folder, but it's not there. Recuva doesn't find anything, tried a chkdsk, no change there either.

Windirstat doesn't see the data as being used.

Wish I had just cut and pasted! I wondered if this going wrong had something to do with the SD card being 'external storage' rather than (for example) a second internal hard drive.

It's almost like the data is sitting there, but it's not marked as deleted. Any ideas how to get it back? :badpc:

Thanks heaps. :)

dugimodo
27-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Perhaps the pictures where somewhere else and just linked to my pictures as part of the library? have you just done a file search for image files to see if they are somewhere else? All I can come up with, hopefully someone else has something better.

wratterus
27-08-2013, 03:26 PM
That was my thought too - I did check the library locations before doing anything, and they were all default.

Thank goodness I have actually found them now, they were in another user folder, which I had to take ownership of to get into. Quite odd, I suspect it's some crazy permissions thing relating to a local/not local Win8 account, this tablet seems to have both, but I can't choose one or the other on login, it seems to log onto a local account by default, even though a MS account seems to be setup in settings.

Windows 8 really does do my head in at times.

Thanks. :)

wainuitech
27-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Its easy to change from a local account to a live account, the problem is many people don't know how to set up a local account in the first place if doing a fresh install of W8.

To change from a local account to a online have a read of change-local-account-to-microsoft-windows-8/ (http://www.guidingtech.com/12989/change-local-account-to-microsoft-windows-8/) You don't change the type in the control panel under users.

If the setup is done with the internet connected its going to want the online account. Then again you can by pass that by using the custom setup, which many techs don't have a clue about - I say that because lately I've been to plenty of places that they had someone who should know what they were doing :rolleyes: set up a new PC and caused all sorts of weird things to happen.

The problem is many techs don't like W8, and are not prepared to learn how to use it, so they make stupid stuffups - that's what the free Previews are for as well - Learning.

What sometimes happens if there has been both types of log ons, it kind of makes a different account ( simple terms). Got one guy who jumps between types of accounts, then when he does it all his contacts wont work in the email till its changed back again.

Hey Wratt, tisk tisk, bit surprised you used the move option -- oldest non safety mistake in the book :p copy/paste first, then once its all OK then delete the originals, if something goes wrong during a cut/move you run the risk of losing every thing.

wratterus
27-08-2013, 04:17 PM

wratterus
27-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey Wratt, tisk tisk, bit surprised you used the move option -- oldest non safety mistake in the book :p copy/paste first, then once its all OK then delete the originals, if something goes wrong during a cut/move you run the risk of losing every thing.

I know... :xmouth:

Was in a bit of a hurry, will teach me alright.

Ironically with my own PCs, I always move without making a backup, or cut/paste and have never had a problem, with customer's PCs, always copy, not move, apart from this one time...