PDA

View Full Version : SOS from overseas

cowboy stu
27-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi
Son in Europe has a sony laptop with Vista. Message received as follows.
Have instructed to run usual checks. Has MSE and Malware checkers installed.
Maybe a system restore ??
Any ideas please?

PC is dying at funny times. Will be typing away and it will just switch off.
Turn power back on and it will Then come up with the 'Windows Error Recovery Screen'
Start the 'Launch Windows' option - will get through it....do the systems repair. Will be fine for 20 mins then die again.
Any ideas on what I can do? Only thing I cn think of is that I tried to download some software lastweek to download music...maybe it had a virus in it?
Any ideas/solutions?

dugimodo
27-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Could be overheating, get him to check the air vents aren't clogged up and the fans are working.
It should get noisy if it's running hot also.

cowboy stu
27-08-2013, 10:34 AM
thanks will do

pctek
27-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Could be overheating.

Could be anything.
Get him to check Event Viewer and see if there are any disk errors.....or anything else occurring a lot.

dugimodo
27-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Could be anything.
Get him to check Event Viewer and see if there are any disk errors.....or anything else occurring a lot.

Was only one possible solution based on the symptoms described, wouldn't say it could be anything - there are plenty of faults that won't cause those symptoms.
But yes fair enough, and event viewer is a good suggestion. Sudden unexpected power downs as opposed to a blue screen or system shutdown though are commonly associated with overheating or hardware faults so I thought I'd start with the simplest and most common option. It could be software or a driver issue but the symptoms do make me think of heat issues. Not to exclude anyone elses suggestions of course, I only said could be. It could be cosmic radiation or a mischievious imp too but lets leave that for now.

cowboy stu
27-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks... I am relaying these comments to him so will see what happens overnight.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Tell him to get tdsskiller and scan for rootkits. Thats if it stays on long enough

cowboy stu
27-08-2013, 03:43 PM
will do thanks

Agent_24
27-08-2013, 05:48 PM
If it's powering off suddenly then either overheating or some intermittent hardware fault like dying PSU\motherboard.

cowboy stu
27-08-2013, 06:00 PM
thanks ...message relayed

wainuitech
27-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Keep in mind, if a PC/ Laptop is overheating and shutting down, generally it wont restart straight away, it needs time to cool down, this can be anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes.

cowboy stu
28-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks for those hints.
incoming message as follows

Have had it on for the last 30 mins and its working fine (For now).
Had it turned off all lastnight - wondering if its over heating