PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 'Favourites' in Windows 7.

jhemm
24-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Total newbie to this forum caper, please excuse any cock-ups.

Favorites has gone funny - normally when I select a Favourite through IE the website pops up almost immediately. But now a number of my favourites take up to five minutes to load, if they load at all. For many the little circling thingy in the Blank page field just goes on and on until I lose patience. Seems to be no rhyme or reason in which pages are affected - e.g. I can't get TV3, TVNZ is fine. Can't get the UK Guardian, but am allowed the Independent. About half of the blogs I follow are affected. Modem seems to be ok, have reset it anyway. Done a virus sweep with AVG and with Malwarebytes.

WTF ???
I've had a hell of a job getting in here this far, and hope I can find my way back. If you have an answer, a personal email to me as well as or instead of a forum answer would be much appreciated.

jhemm
24-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Senility is really setting in - after all that I forgot to give my email address in case anyone prefers to reply by email.

address is: [edited]

Driftwood
24-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Not a good idea putting your email address on an open forum

pcuser42
24-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

As Driftwood mentioned, it is not a good idea to post email addresses on a public forum as spambots come here and harvest them. Replying by email also defeats the purpose of a forum as it doesn't allow other people who may have the same problem to view your resolution. :)

wainuitech
24-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't rely on AVG to much, that Antivirus ( and thats calling it politely) can cause many problems.

That aside, try this and report back what happens - Click start, type in Internet Explorer , Select Internet Explorer( No Add-ons) ignore any warnings, check to see how the favorites open, and see if the other previous pages open or not. "if" they work as they should, theres a Add-on causing the problem.

jhemm
25-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks wainuitech. Tried that, after I figured out how to get to 'IE no add-ons' but no difference with the 'reluctant' sites - still take several minutes to load. My wife had used a Genealogy program which persisted as a sort of pop-up every so often, so I've deleted that, but that didn't help. Apart from that, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by 'add-ons'?

feersumendjinn
25-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Add-ons are usually small applications that will run within your internet browser and add some extra benefit or capability (like removing ads on web pages, or blocking popup screens, or being able to read PDFs etc), sometimes older apps won't work with newer versions of the browser etc.

Could be a problem with your data download speed, have you checked this (if you're on broadband, have you used all your datacap, and had your speed reduced (to dial-up speed)).
Leftclick this to test
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/internet-providers/broadband-speedtest

jhemm
25-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Download speed is 10.38 mbps, which seems ok. Have just rolled over to a new month on data cap, so have 50 gigabits to spare - I can get an instant update on usage from my ISP anytime. Definitely not on dial-up speed - YouTube videos work fine.
I suspect (from the way about two thirds of my favorites work fine) that some sites were affected by a now historical event. E.g. one of the first favorites that I noticed slowing down was TV3. Now if I try to access TV3 by going into Google, typing TV3, and selecting it, it still takes ages of 'circling' before it loads, i.e. the same as when I try to access it through 'Favorites.' PC seems to have acquired a select number of 'very slow access' sites?

pcuser42
25-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Is it only your favouries going slow or is it other sites as well? Being Internet Explorer, I wouldn't be surprised if the cache was actually slowing things down...

feersumendjinn
25-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Try this (internet cache can get corrupted, and cause all sorts of bother).
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

wainuitech
25-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Try this -- Uninstall AVG, its been known to cause all sorts of problems, including slowness of web pages loading, general slowness of the PC just to name a few.

I regularly uninstall customers AVG then put in a better Antivirus and that fixes a high portion of the problems they are having. Just do a google search and you'll see many posts with people complaining about AVG slowing down site, heres an example of one: Some-Internet-Sites-Suddenly-Will-Not-Load (http://cyberfreak.hubpages.com/hub/Some-Internet-Sites-Suddenly-Will-Not-Load) - in that article is a suggestion on how to turn off the feature relating to slow loading,this may or may not be he problem, but you need to either confirm it or not.

A couple of weeks ago, one customers PC, her XP had avg, pages were taking 2-3 minutes to load (or longer), removed AVG, they then loaded within 3 seconds.

jhemm
25-08-2013, 12:55 PM
1. Thanks feersumendjinn. I composed a reply to you, and thought I posted it, but it seems to have vanished. Basically I was asking if it is possible to overload one's Favourites capacity, i.e. have too many. I've got about 70.
2. Thanks wainuitech. I'm a bit reluctant to Uninstall AVG completely as I can't afford real protection at the moment. However I tried using the feature in AVG which claims to disable it temporarily, and that made no difference. That Cyberfreak site you referred me to was also affected by this slow loading business so I haven't looked at it yet. I thought I would just check whether you have any other thoughts before I take the plunge. (Oh, reason I went back to AVG was because my PC was originally sold with Nortons which became corrupted and had to be removed.)

wainuitech
25-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Just reading the post not to sure if you could actually read the post or not.
However I tried using the feature in AVG which claims to disable it temporarily, and that made no difference. That Cyberfreak site you referred me to was also affected by this slow loading business so I haven't looked at it yet. Kind of contradicts each other ?

Heres what is suggested:
disabling Link Shield and ALL AVG related browser toolbars is the way to go; in more than ten times on ten different computers, the problem was solved at once when Link Shield and Do Not Track were disabled through the options and in particular through the path AVG Main Window>Tools>Advanced Settings.

Currently not suggesting anything else as AVG is known to cause the problem ( may or may not be the case here), so if its AVG then any other suggestion would be of no use.

jontee
25-08-2013, 05:54 PM
windows defender is a free ms av
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/products/features/windows-defender
and I think would be recommended most as a good free av

jhemm
25-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Wainuitech. Could only find in AVG something called 'Link scanner surf shield' which I presume is the same thing and I have disabled that. No change. Can't find anything like 'Do Not Track.' There is something called 'Identity Protection,' should I disable that? Sounds a bit unsafe?
I've managed to print out my Favourites. I could go through them one by one, mark all slow-opening ones and delete them for a while. Any point to doing that?
Jontee below has a suggestion about Windows Defender, which I have got or can get. I read somewhere that it was not much good. Any comment on that?

dugimodo
26-08-2013, 10:22 AM
MSE/defender is fine, Avast is also free and currently rated better but if you chose it pay attention to the install options or you'll get chrome installed.

Have you considered or tried system restore to a date prior to the issues

jhemm
26-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks dugimodo, further thanks to wainuitech. Well, I took the plunge and through Control Panel I appear to have uninstalled AVG. Unfortunately the problem still persists - I have 39 'good' Favourites and 12 'bad' ones that are slow to load or won't load at all. Also, I follow a blog that my daughter produces, which has also become inaccessible, and that's not even in Favourites - I access it through a desktop icon.
I've loaded Defender and it claims to be working, except I keep getting an 'Issues' notice stating that I'm not protected. What is that telling me?
Last time I had a PC problem I called in an expensive tech, who took it away and reformatted my hard drive - I'm keen not to repeat that experience if I can avoid it, and am very grateful for all suggestions.

feersumendjinn
26-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Have you tried this yet?

Try this (internet cache can get corrupted, and cause all sorts of bother).
http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

jhemm
27-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Thank you feersumendjinn. I already delete my browsing history daily as a matter of routine, but the rest of your post looks interesting and I will follow it up tomorrow - 12 pm now and time for bed.

jhemm
27-08-2013, 10:39 AM
feersumendjinn - further to above, I've done as shown on that site, but no improvement. However, I have noted that when I clear the history, it always left a couple of sites undeleted - just ignored that up till now. And when I click on the down arrow beside Favourites, it shows a lot more history - 20 sites to be exact. There is no pattern that I can see in this 'hidden' history - seems to be a random mixture of what I previously called 'good' and 'bad' sites, only stand-out feature is that 12 of them are my wife's genealogy sites. Last sites added were this one (PCWorld) which obviously works, and an attempt at re-adding TV3which I had deleted as an experiment, and which is still a 'slow' or 'bad' site.
Any sense, as I asked before, in deleting all the 'bad' sites from Favourites in case one of them is causing the problem?
l

feersumendjinn
27-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Now this is fairly drastic, read all before proceeding, it may well fix your problem as you're resetting IE back to its freshly installed defaults.

Try exporting your favourites to a file (on the desktop, easy to find later :)), in IE click File in the menu bar (press Alt key if the menu bar is not visible) and click Import and Export in that menu, select Export to a file, then Next, tick Favourites box on the new window, then Next, in new window select all items, then Next, on this window click Browse, this will open a save requester window, select Desktop (top of LH panel), leave everything else as is, and click Save, this will take you back to the previous window (but the save address has changed), click Export.

Take a look on your desktop, to make sure it's there, Bookmark.htm.

Now, go to Tools in the menu bar, click Internet Options, then the Advanced tab, then the Reset button at the bottom (CAUTION THIS WILL CLEAR ALL SETTINGS, FAVOURITES, COOKIES, CACHE ETC), and click ok.

Now go to File>Import and Export as before, and import your Bookmark file from the desktop....

jhemm
28-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Thank you feersumendjinn, that looks awesome. Too late at night to try it now, but I'll be onto it first thing in the morning and will report the result.

jhemm
28-08-2013, 01:11 PM
hi feersumendjinn No luck I,m afraid. Some differences from your post: step 4 (in new window select all items) no 'all items' option then step 6 saved 'Bookma arks.HTM' to C:Users/name/Docs instead of Desktop. Rest seemed go ok, but the only result was that the Favourites list duplicated itself in Favourites, i.e when I scrolled down I had two identical lists of favourite sites. So eventually in a fit of stupidity I followed my own advice and deleted the lot to see what happened. Result - empty favourites list, but when I try to access my paper list of favourites (i.e. google a site, then select it from google) the slow ones are still slow, my daughters blog is still inaccessible even if I type in the address instead of accessing it from the desktop icon.
Tried an earlier suggestion by someone of a System Restore, to 2012 state, but not sure that it worked. Time to call in a tech?

feersumendjinn
28-08-2013, 11:32 PM
You may have not done the Reset IE part, there is a confirmation window after the second to last line of my instructions, sorry but I didn't realise that because I didn't complete the process (didn't need to), if you'd ticked the box in that window, and then the reset button, and rebooted the computer, it should have cleared everything.
Probably a good time to call a tech (Wainuitech?), you need some hands-on help, perhaps with the help of Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx).

jhemm
29-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Message for feersumendjinn and wainuitech: Well, I called a tech (at $115) and after an hour of testing everything possible, I finally as a last resort got him to ring my ISP, something I was reluctant to do myself because of certain past experiences. Turns out the problem was with them all along - an incorrect DNS Server being automatically received from them. The websites that weren't loading were either a dynamic IP address or incorrect DNS setting. I don't know what any of that means and don't really want to. They wouldn't consider any compensation, on the grounds that I should have called them first, before getting a tech in. Bit difficult to argue with that - could hardly say that I didn't contact them earlier because usually whoever you get tends to be either very impatient or speak fractured English. Put it down to experience, I guess.

wainuitech
29-08-2013, 04:51 PM
That sounds a bit odd, blaming a DNS server. Sound like a fob off from your ISP -- They stuffed up.

I don't know what any of that means and don't really want to Gonna tell ya anyway :p

DNS servers in simple language translate a IP address into letters so humans can read them. For example if you were to type in www.stuff.co.nz it gets translated to the IP address so a computer can read it and take you to the correct place. Stuffs IP address is 202.21.128.102 So what are you going to remember the word stuff or a IP address ?

Some DNS servers are better than others, another example, every ISP has two DNS address they use ( main and a backup) But sometimes people prefer to use another like Googles, Open DNS just to name a few.

Most web sites have a static IP address, this means their IP address stays the same all the time. So saying your DNS is wrong doesn't sound right.

A Dynamic IP is what a lot of ISP's use for their customers esp with ADSL, and that changes all the time.

ISP's like Vodafone ( telstra) give you a static IP as default, other ISP's dont.

Heres some reading which explains it all very well http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

If you want to see What I'm talking about, click start, type in CMD Open the command prompt - type in "ipconfig" ( without the "") you'll see your current IP address. Next day try again, and you'll see its different ( unless you are with Telstra/Vodafone OR running through a router Then it will be the same).

PS: thanks for coming back and advising it was fixed all the same :thumbs:

wainuitech
29-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Add to above, to find out your real IP address if using a router, go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it will tell you what it is from your ISP.