PDA

View Full Version : Cant see Ex hard drive....

beetle
24-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I have 2 pc's that cannot see the external hard drive i have, at some stage in time both have seen this HD, but now nope not at all.

it was my back up drive and now it has been used to keep photos and music on etc. i managed to save photos on it a few months ago on my new pc, win 7, but now it cant see it, tried different usb ports and still no go?

is it likely the HD itself has died? it still lights up ? and if so, theres all my photos of everything gone...lol

thought i was doing the right thing and saving it to one spot..... to later spread onto another drive as a safety point but ran out of $$$

HArd drive is A WD ? western digital i think, my memory not helping here, and i have Phoenix pc which is um 6 months old? running WIn 7, and Peach who has Win XP on it....

blind leading the blind here sorry, just mainly musing on how i can get this data / pic off the HD now.

pcuser42
24-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Does it show up in Disk Management? (Right-click (My) Computer and select Manage, Disk Management is near the bottom of the list on the left)

beetle
24-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the reply, ive replugged it all in and after deciferring your instructions i have 3 items come up in bottom box, 2 different cd / dvd drives and a disk o,
im presuiming that is my ex hard drive, i never knew about that peice of info and where to look i have only ever gone into my comp to see if it is there.

now what do i do :D thanks in advance :) i await instructions for it to be useable if possible :)

pcuser42
24-08-2013, 01:30 PM
2 different cd / dvd drives and a disk o

You mean Disk 0 (zero)? That'll be your internal drive. :)

Since it's not appearing in Disk Management, is it appearing in Device Manager? Could be a driver issue...

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Does it have a letter in disk management?? If it doesnt right mouse on it / change drive letter and path. Give it a letter that hasnt been taken

wainuitech
24-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Being an external drive, its possible the drive its self is perfectly fine. Can sometimes be the actual case/internal circuit board where the USB cable plugs into that's dead. If the drive is removed from the case it can be plugged into another external case if its a SATA or IDE connection ( correct case needed of course) . Unless its one of those external drives where the circuit board is attached directly to the HDD.

thought i was doing the right thing and saving it to one spot Not really, external drives can be used as backups, but its still dangerous to have all the data in one place only, if that drive fails all the data can be lost. Should be a backup only, originals on another drive.

beetle
24-08-2013, 01:40 PM
OMG ya just said what ?

maybe a driver issue yes, cant see ex hard drive so how can i change its letter? and yes is will be O soz internal yes, getting in over my head here,
I dont really want to fiddle with something i know nothing about, the old thing saying dont fiddle if it aint broke....... but if i updated or got drivers for it thats a start? and really with my electrical killing ability should i really be fiddling with things like taking covers off.........

:(
i can see this turniing out to be a huge can of worms.......

beetle
24-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Not really, external drives can be used as backups, but its still dangerous to have all the data in one place only, if that drive fails all the data can be lost. Should be a backup only, originals on another drive.

that was the plan............. but alas ran out of $$$ to get other option on the go as well......... :D

beetle
24-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Speedy i dont think it is there, so cant or dont know how to change it any way........ :(

wainuitech
24-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Doubt its a driver issue.

Reason: if it were only not reading on one PC then maybe, but two different PC's cant see the same external Drive --- whats the chance of two different computers not seeing the same external drive ?

beetle
24-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Ok found it, my comp, right click,manage, in device manager, disk drives, but its erratic, i think the cable connection is a bit wonky.

am going out for a short while, but will come back and have another check in for instructions please...of how to get it to show up in my computer and useable.

thanks guys :)

learnt something today already :)

beetle
24-08-2013, 02:32 PM
So how do i get it to show up in my computer normal, not right click manage etc ? if its seeing it down the right click travels why cant it show me in my computers?

blind talking here lol

wainuitech
24-08-2013, 04:11 PM
its erratic, i think the cable connection is a bit wonky. Sounds like its a connection problem, chance its the drive case, either the circuit board or cable. Its connecting enough to say "hey I'm here" but not enough to read fully. As I mentioned before, doubt its drivers as if it were whats the chance of two computers giving the exact same problem on 1 external drive ?

beetle
24-08-2013, 04:46 PM
so only option is to take the case off ?

wainuitech
24-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Taking the drive out of the case and putting it into another would test if it were the case or not. Of course that depends if its one of the previous mentioned drives that have the circuit board connected directly to the HDD or if its got SATA connections.

beetle
24-08-2013, 07:24 PM
oh......well i dont have another ex hd case.........

feersumendjinn
25-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Chances are it's stuffed.
Can you hear it spinning?
External drives can be very sensitive to careless handling, especially moving/shaking it while running (laptops can suffer from this too), even dropping it from on its side onto its base can kill it.
But it may be a connection problem as WT said, try taking it to a computer servicing outfit to see if they can help (if you really must recover the data).

beetle
25-08-2013, 11:43 AM
yes it is spinning, it sounds like a hum and slight vibration on the desk................ and yes its pretty vital as its my only back up i now have that has all my photos of my childrens childhoods on it, and my music........... any thing else and i dont care about it.

Its a Western digital no idea how old............ its a 1TB is that correct ? i have tried other cables, and other computers........ :( im not the best with electrical items i kill more things than i care to mention that are electrical.......:(

so im really wanting something to work......

beetle
25-08-2013, 11:57 AM
age could be 1 year to 18months, i got given it, and they think it is a PATA........ does that make it any different?

and i dont know or trust any one local in the IT industry that why i went elsewhere for my new pc......:) so yeah im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place........

wainuitech
25-08-2013, 12:03 PM
PATA = IDE = Wont connect to your New PC's motherboard as it doesn't have any IDE slots.

Send it down if you want, I'll try stuffing it ( oops I mean recovering it :p) - you can contact me Via my email if you want.

beetle
25-08-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=760&language=1

i think its this one...........

beetle
25-08-2013, 12:07 PM
oh.................oh.....................:(
then why wont peach see it? as ive got all the pics off her in the past...........and ive only used about 4% of the ex hard drive...:(

fred_fish
25-08-2013, 12:49 PM
oh.................oh.....................:(
then why wont peach see it? as ive got all the pics off her in the past...........and ive only used about 4% of the ex hard drive...:(

The idea is to put a COPY of the data on the external.
If it is the only place the data is, then it is NOT a backup.

Do you not still have the original files on your PC(s)?

beetle
25-08-2013, 01:27 PM
sadly no, i cleaned it out with the idea of putting the ex hard drive copies back onto pc's when i had time, after peach got a revamp, and when i had my new pc, just never got there, because they cant see it........... i managed to get peach to save some more pics to the ex hard drive about a month ago, but life has been far to busy and i didnt get there....... i do know the info is still on the ex HD last time i used it......
comes down to time and $$$ which i had little of either recently....

Phoenix was a new pc so no nothing original on her, and i took masses of stuff off peach becuase it was sick and then she did a blue screen and never booted again, so Wainui did some tlc with her, but i had taken it all off her as a precaution of not being able to save it again....... so i kinda killed that chance....

i always intended to put them back...... :(

fred_fish
25-08-2013, 01:31 PM
OK.
I think you need to get that drive to someone who can help.

beetle
26-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Thank you,

I know i did it wrong, with the intention of having more than one copy, peach dying and not being sure if she was fixable or not changed the plans for more copies, but i just never got round to it, and now it may be too late.

I may drop you a line Wainui and talk options :p

beetle
16-10-2013, 06:25 PM
:D

Update on exHD

So happy, after getting Wainui to have a look at this stupid black box............ we found it had major issues.. - not quite dead......
..lol but the good news is Wainui could see the data on it........... he retreived it and it seems to be all good :D
He works miracles................ with a new ex Hard drive i have my data back........:)

Big thanks to Wainui you the best.............:D

Agent_24
16-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Good to hear! Make sure you have a proper backup solution this time ;)

beetle
16-10-2013, 07:04 PM
yeah i was sure kicking myself when my original plan was to get new comp and clean out peach and put ex HD data back on them......... and then find it wasnt readable....... not quite dead but near as too it.......

i can hardly stop grinning now........ so happy.

Big Thankies to Wainui :)

wainuitech
16-10-2013, 07:23 PM
:thumbs: No problems Beetle-- Yours had a part HDD Failure and case failure. Could have been a lot worse.

"Miracles" take a lot longer :D -- like one i have here now.

The HDD is in far worse state than yours, It is so bad that Windows wont see it, no data recovery program will see it, and the drive only appears in the BIOS when it feels like it. When it does show - Linux only "just" sees it after hunting for 30 odd minutes to load. Cant actually copy the data, I/O ( input output) Errors, and so many bad sectors its not funny.

Ran a linux ddrescue program - YESSSSSS saw the drive, and was copying the drive. I started on Wednesday last week and its had been running right through to Monday non stop ( 6 days), there was approx 80GB on the drive, shows how bad it was.

Well when we had the storm on Monday, we had a power cut around 5.30 pm, didn't come back till around 7pm. The poor UPS simply couldn't keep the PC going for that time and finally died -- Along with the HDD. All data LOST and drives now completely dead :crying:crying

Cant write what I said here :xmouth:

Agent_24
17-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Ran a linux ddrescue program - YESSSSSS saw the drive, and was copying the drive. I started on Wednesday last week and its had been running right through to Monday non stop ( 6 days), there was approx 80GB on the drive, shows how bad it was.

Well when we had the storm on Monday, we had a power cut around 5.30 pm, didn't come back till around 7pm. The poor UPS simply couldn't keep the PC going for that time and finally died -- Along with the HDD. All data LOST and drives now completely dead

Surely ddrescue would have recovered something?

wainuitech
17-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Surely ddrescue would have recovered something? It did but only part. It recovered the folder structure to a degree, but as soon as you tried to open any of the folders where data was, it either came up with an error, corrupted or damaged, or the folders were empty.

I had managed to save the pst file before, but don't know if its damaged or not, wont know till I try to restore it. Originally when looking at the Pictures folder there was something like 8 GB of photos. But you couldn't open or copy them, you could only see the thumbnail preview view, if you tried to open or copy again Error with corrupted or damaged.

I'm Telling ya it was like this: LOL

beetle
17-10-2013, 04:40 PM
oooooooooooohhhhhh

well we have had a pretty good check on a lot of photos, and only a few come up weird.... so im all good....

And well im just lucky i guess...... hope your other customer is not to unhappy about the loss.....:(

and love the pic....sounds like me in the mornings lol

beetle
17-10-2013, 08:13 PM
i missed my music more than i realised........ so cool to have it all back...... :)

says i only had about 8 gb of music and 32 gb ish of photos....... lol

so thankful its back :)