PDA

View Full Version : ISP's and more

sarum
23-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi, firstly I've a question about ISP's. So I searched 'ISP' and got to page 1 of 23, but was unable to progress to page 2 and beyond.

So while I'm here.
I'm in a granny-flat on my daughter's property and wirelessly connect to her ISP.
I've had a stroke and need a Saint John's alarm thing that only works if I have a land line 'phone. So I have to have a telephone (is there anyone out there who has no contact? - try it).
I used to be with Xnet ages ago; 3GB of down load, and not much per month. I never used the down load limit.
TV adverts sell huge GB's and all sorts for much more than I need,
All I need is a hot-line to my Saint and a bit of down load now and then.
& BTW I'm a grandad.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Try one of Telecoms plans :)

Poppa John
24-08-2013, 10:55 AM
G'Day.
I had a similar problem with Orcon when we wanted to go from 5GB to 30GB, would have had to go to a Genios Connection. My alarm people, BUPA, have a wireless unit. Does St John?

Whatever you do is going to cost you.

1)Get telecom to quote you your own phone line.

2)If the phone line into the House is more than one pair, ask Telecom to price a cable run from the spare pair in the House over to your Unit. PJ

pctek
24-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm in a granny-flat on my daughter's property and wirelessly connect to her ISP.
I've had a stroke and need a Saint John's alarm thing that only works if I have a land line 'phone.

So why not just get a landline connected to your flat - no internet on it, and continue to use your daughters wifi?

dugimodo
24-08-2013, 05:21 PM
The cheapest option in terms of ongoing costs if your daughter is willing is to run a phone cable from the house to the flat and connect to their existing phone line, assuming they have a land line.
Whatever company they get the phone service ought to be able to organise that for you for a one time cost.

Failing that option getting your own land line installed is the next Idea as already mentioned by others, I believe telecom may offer special rates for seniors and also if it's installed as a 2nd line under the same account as the house it may be cheaper as well.
Probably best to give telecom a call and have a chat to them, you don't have to go through with it if you don't like what they offer.

sarum
25-08-2013, 08:34 PM
You are all right - I should have mentioned at the outset that, seldom, but only when it's most inconvenient, my connection dies(either 'they' are out or abed).
Also my Daughter and her husband run a business from home and consider my computing activities to be a potential scoure of trouble.
I'm Linux only and have live CDs and USBs and a cloud OS (zeroPC) to impress the grandkids.
So, thanks for your help.As poppa john suggests I'll try telecom and the other ISPs to get the best deal.
.........sarum

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2013, 12:58 PM
It's likely a router issue on their end. If you're running Linux, I'd be willing to bet money you're immediately more secure than any Windows OS they're running ;)