PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Install

SP8's
22-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi Peoples

I'm trying to install Win 7 HP onto a new 1TB HD ... running XP on the old one. This IS a LEGIT UPGRADE DISC and I have the key. It's a 64 bit version Family Pack - allowing it to be used on three different computers - and it's only been used on two computers so far.

The first install was installed over XP and no problems. Second install was onto my daughters lappy which had a new HD installed and therefore, wasn't an upgrade but fresh install.

Now I've purchased a new HD for myself I'm trying to do the same fresh install as I did on my daughters lappy, I get invalid key error.

Looking online, one reason given as to why that happens, is that I'm not upgrading from an earlier edition of windows - true. Another is that it can't be installed when 7 SP1 is installed ... OK, so I didn't read the bloody instructions first !

Reformatted the new HD to get rid of the first first fresh install ... including SP1 ... :waughh:

I guess the questions I'm asking are:-

a) If I have to first install XP on the new drive before upgrading, does XP have to have SP's and updates installed as well ?

b) Why was I able to do a fresh install on my daughters lappy, and why does the disc have a "custom" installation option for fresh install ?

c) What happens if your XP HD dies and you loose the OEM recovery partition, basically the same as what I'm trying to do now ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

SP8's

wainuitech
22-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Wipe the drive again, and start from fresh -- Have a read of the following, scroll down till you get to "How to Clean Install Windows 7 with a Upgrade DVD Disc or ISO Image" Follow the install instructions to the letter.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Usually the reg edit method works,( Workaround 3) where as some of the others dont.

SP8's
22-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks WT ... I'll let you know how I get on ... tomorrow ... maybe.

dugimodo
23-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I installed an upgrade version on an empty drive just by installing it twice, first time no key or activation just to get windows on the drive, 2nd time a custom install with the key and tell it to do a fresh install. Once completed use windows cleanup tool to remove windows.old and that's it. The "upgrade" mainly just requires an existing copy of windows not specifically XP or vista. worked for me anyway and required nothing but a bit of extra time.