PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Clinic

06-12-2001, 07:38 PM
Hi
This is to let everyone who thinks highly of McAfee as a customer focused company, know that I am annoyed with McAfee!!@?%%
I subscribed to McAfee Clinic (on October 19) with which I could scan my pc online through their ActiveShield anti-virus program. I had to uninstall and reinstall ActiveShield every 3-4 days as it never seemed to have installed completely. On contacting their online support, I was told I should uninstall IE6 and install IE5 because ActiveShield has problems installing when IE6 is on board!! Finally I had enough and requested McAfee(about 2weeks back) for a refund, although I knew I may not qualify for a refund as it had been over a month of subscription with them. But they never got back to me.
If they would have told me its not possible because am late at least it would have been a reply.
How can I rely on a company which doesn't even cares to reply?

06-12-2001, 08:40 PM
Anoop

I know you feel kind of pissed of (at the very least).

First off, sort out an AV option that works, so you are protected. Download something, NAV does the business (I use a really old version, but it works, so why slow down my machine with something newer? I update it about once a week or fortnight, and always wear a condom to prevent getting viruses).

Second, calmly go about asking them for a refund. Do it again in email, then call them if you have no joy. If you bought it on the web, you might not want to call them. If you did get it on the web, pester the bejesus out of them. If you got it on a credit card, call your bank, cancel the payment.

Thirdly, I know it sucks, but they do their best and they can't be compatible with everything. I have nothing against Mcafee, but prefer NAV. This sort of thing happens, you don't enjoy it. Try to learn from it. At least everyone who sees your posting will think about buying it, so you have had some revenge.

Robo.

06-12-2001, 10:06 PM
I have helped others with McAfee, they also never seemed to be happy with it either and most have switched to something else. I suggest Nortons AV, v5 through 2002 are available, check maybe Cash Converters or other places that sell used software, you might be able to get a older but well loved version for cheaper especially if you are not running a lot of ram or using a older OS. Try your luck with the credit card company as well as Rob has suggested, hard to seel what there reaction will be but basically a product should be sold that meets a required standard for the job. Approach McAfee nicely though in the first instance but also advise if they will not reply then you will consider a credit card dispute

06-12-2001, 10:11 PM
Hi Anoop, I too had active shield which came preinstalled on my HP computer & I had nothing but trouble with it,The good people at McAfee support(australia) gave me a customer number & pin number which allowed me to download McAfee virus scan. perhaps they may do the same for you?
Personally I feel I have more control over my virus scanning with virus scan than I did with active shield.

cheers Steve

07-12-2001, 07:38 AM
Hey Rob,Gordon and Steve, Many Thanks for your suggestions and advise, really helps.